Bachelor in Professional Hospitality

Bachelor in Professional Hospitality

Bachelors
·
4 years
Get notified when enrollment starts?

Bachelor in Professional Hospitality (BPH) is four years undergraduate-level program offered by Kathmandu University. KU GATE Hospitality Management program offers one of the most innovative industry-focused apprenticeship model in hospitality education. The students enrolled will learn-while-they-earn and earn-while-they-learn. Distinctive features of the program are: enhance real-world learning, globally accredited program, placements of students in the best hospitality organizations, tailor-made learning for students with competency-based evaluation criteria, and promote indigenous elements of Nepali culture and cuisine in the curriculum. 

The main objective of this program is to make the education of the tourism and hospitality industry accessible to the people who might be from marginalized economic backgrounds.

Salient Features

Course Delivery and Duration

The four-year program focuses on the integration of knowledge with professional understanding will be largely based at the workplace with three semesters in the industry devoted to developing professional skills with an emphasis on ‘real-world learning’. The scope of learning is not just limited to the classroom but is mainly focused on the industry to develop world-class hospitality professionals.

The Bachelor of Professional Hospitality comprises five academic semesters (most of these semesters learning will happen while the students are working in the industry), plus three semesters of approved internship. The program consists of over 1920 total contact hours with a total of 120 credit hours. 40% of the program’s course composition focuses on the essential knowledge and understanding whilst the remaining 60% focuses on learning by doing practicals to build the essential skills and competencies to become competent hospitality professionals.

Course Evaluation

The role of evaluation and assessment is fundamental in the recognition, recording and monitoring of the theoretical and professional evaluation in meeting the planned learning outcomes of the programme. Students will receive constant guidance and feedback from tutors on both the practical professional and academic work while it is in progress, in both formative and summative assessments by adopting the continuous evaluation framework.

Cognitive skills are assessed using a wide variety of methods including time constrained coursework assignments and reflective reports. Written assignments will have clearly delineated word limits to encourage concision in the presentation of structured, well-supported argument and opinion. Cognitive skills will also be assessed by a mixture of written, oral and activity-based assignments as appropriate to the learning outcomes.

Knowledge and understanding is assessed via examinations (seen and unseen) and coursework assignments, including problem solving activities, simulations, oral presentations, individual and group reports, as well as more conventional written forms such as essays and other discursive assignments. In many of these modes of assessment students will be expected to demonstrate the connection between theoretical knowledge and understanding and its professional application. Assessment is a valuable tool in the development of research skills and as part of the learning process. The use of assessment in this context provides a valuable addition to the overall learning and teaching approaches.

Transferable skills are assessed through; the numerical manipulation required in modules requiring quantitative analysis; the written (or oral) presentation skills displayed in assignment work; the outcomes of team-work; practical activities set in the real work context; the conclusions and recommendations made in operational case-study reports, and in final year projects.

Assessment therefore takes on a problem-centred rather than merely a knowledge-based orientation. To prove competency means having to demonstrate the attainment of professional skills and attitudes, not just having to write about them. Secondly, assessment becomes not merely a means of judging knowledge and performance, but an integral part of the learning process itself. Consequently, the emergence of performance- based assessment suggests that assessment should be:

  • Standards or criterion-referenced. Judging outcomes against these pre-defined standards.

Eligibility

Nepali or non-Nepali national with a 10+2 or intermediate or equivalent level study program of at least two-year duration in any discipline with a minimum of 45 percent in aggregate or CGPA of 2.0 on the scale of 4.0 and minimum 'D+'grade in each subject from a university/board recognized by Kathmandu University. GCE Advanced Level student should have passed a minimum of three subjects in A-Level and one general paper in AS Level.

Note: Applicants who have completed the 12th-grade examination results may apply on a provisional basis. Applicants accepted provisionally must satisfy the above eligibility criteria to continue their study.

Job Prospects

  • Travel Agent
  • Travel Attendants
  • Food Service Managers
  • Lodging Managers
  • Event Planners

Curricular Structure

Credit Hours by Theme Theory Practical Total
The Industry 10 5 15
Making Operations Work 11 22 33
The Guest/Customer 7 11 18
Professional & Personal Development 15 39 54
Total Credit Hours 43 77 120

The four-year program focuses on the integration of knowledge with professional understanding will be largely based at the workplace with three semesters in the industry devoted to developing professional skills with an emphasis on ‘real-world learning’. The scope of learning is not just limited to the classroom but is mainly focused on the industry to develop world-class hospitality professionals.
The Bachelor of Professional Hospitality comprises five academic semesters (most of these semesters learning will happen while the students are working in the industry), plus three semesters of approved internship. The program consists of over 1920 total contact hours with a total of 120 credit hours. 40% of the program’s course composition focuses on the essential knowledge and understanding whilst the remaining 60% focuses on learning by doing practical to build the essential skills and competencies to become competent hospitality professionals.