Bachelors in Information Technology (BIT) program of Tribhuvan University is designed by closely following the courses practiced in accredited international universities, subject to the condition that the intake students are twelve years of schooling in any stream or equivalent from any recognized board.
In addition to the foundation and core Information Technology courses, Bachelors in Information Technology (BIT) offers several elective courses to meet the undergraduate academic program requirement and to fulfill the demand for development and implementation of new technology.
Students enrolled in the four year BIT program of Tribhuvan University are required to take foundation and core courses of Information technology, courses of mathematics, statistics, management, economics, sociology, psychology, research methodology and technical writing, and some elective courses.
All undergraduate students are required to complete 120 credit hours of Information Technology and allied courses, and will have opportunity in the field of software development, information security, database administration, network and system administration, and in all the sectors that develop and/or use Information Technology.
The main objective of BIT program of Tribhuvan University is to provide students intensive knowledge and skill to design. develop, and use information technology in different areas. It is envisaged that graduate of this program will be equipped with necessary knowledge of Information Technology to compete in this global world.
The entire course is of eight semesters (four academic years). There is a separate semester examination after the end of each semester.
Hours of Instruction:
a) Working days: 90 days in a semester
b) Class hours
- 3 credit hours courses with theory and labs is equivalent to 3 hours lecture and 3 hours lab = 6 working hrs per week.
- 3 credit hours theory-only course is equivalent to 3 hours lecture and 2 hours tutorial = 5 working hrs per week.
Theory course should have internal weightage of 20% and external weightage of 80%. For the course having lab work, the internal weightage is 20%, lab work weightage is 20% and external weightage is 60%. A student should secure minimum of 40% in each category to pass a course. The final score in each course will be the sum of overall weightage of in all categories. There will be a separate practical examination for the 20% weightage of lab work conducted by concerned college in the presence of an external examiner.
The project work and internship are evaluated by different evaluators. To pass project work and internship. students should secure at least 40% marks in the evaluation of each evaluator and final score will be the sum of all the evaluations. For the evaluation of final presentation, an external examiner will be assigned from the IOST.
The Grading System
A student having passed his/her 8 semesters (4 years) of study will be graded as follows:
Distinction: 80 % and above ( 8 semester's average)
First Division: 70 % and above ( 8 semester's average)
Second Division: 55 % and above ( 8 semester's average)
Pass Division: 40 % and above ( 8 semester's average)
Students are required to attend regularly all theory and practical classes and should maintain 80 percent attendance in each course separately.
Institute of Science and Technology, Tribhuvan University, will conduct the final examination at the end of each semester. 80% weightage will be given to the final examination for theory course and 60% will be given for the course having both theory and practical.
- Passed Proficiency Certificate Level or Equivalent Examination from any faculties taking subjects like English and Mathematics or Computer (Students should have studied at least a Mathematics or English) subject of 100 pass marks and secured at least second division.
- Passed grade 12 from Higher Secondary or Secondary School in any stream but must have studied English and Mathematics or Computer Subject of 100/100 marks; students must have taken English, Mathematics or Computer (Must have studied at least Mathematics or Computer subject) and secured at least C grade. For other subjects, he/she should have passed, securing at least Grade Point (GPA 1.6) and final CGPA of atleast 1.8.
- Passed A level examination (studying English and Mathematics or Computer subject of 100/100 marks) securign D Grade with or without small letter.
- Passed Three Years Diploma in second division from CTEVT by studying English and Mathematics or Computer with 100/100 marks each.
The course carries a total of 120 credits distributed evenly among 8 semesters in 4 years duration. Students are required to complete an internship in the last semester weighting 6 credits.
|5||Introduction to Information Technology||3|
|5||Microprocessor and Computer Architecture||3|
|1||Principles of Management||3|
|4||Database Management System||3|
|5||Data Structure and Algorithm||3|
|2||Network and Data Communications||3|
|3||System Analysis and Design||3|
|5||Web Technology- I||3|
|5||Web Technology- II||3|
|3||Management Information System||3|
|1||Advanced Java Programming||3|
|2||Software Project Management||3|
|1||Network System Administration||3|
|1||Geographical Information System|
|4||Society and Ethics in IT|
|1||DSS and Expert System|
|2||Mobile Application Development|
|3||Simulation and Modeling|
|1||Data Warehousing and Data Mining|
|5||Introduction to Telecommunications|