In 1994, the Faculty of Science and Technology (FOST) was founded under the Purbanchal University Act, 2050 (1994). Initially, FOST launched the three-year Bachelor of Computer Application (B.C.A.) program in Biratnagar, which was Nepal's first of its kind.
At present, FOST has expanded its offerings to include four-year Bachelor Programs in IT and Engineering, along with two-year Master Programs based on the credit-hour and semester system. FOST has plans to introduce Master Programs in Information Technology, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Agriculture, and Veterinary in the future. Currently, FOST operates through its three Constituents and twenty-four affiliated campuses throughout the country. FOST also aims to provide excellent research opportunities in Computer science, information technology, and Engineering in the future.
- The mission of the FOST is to provide excellence in education, preparing leaders for a diverse, highly technological, information-based global society; to engage in research and creative activities that generate new knowledge and applications for effective practice and that foster interdisciplinary approaches to address information challenges; and to meet the complex information needs of society through public and professional service.
- The Mission of FOST is to provide quality information Technology, engineering education and research in the frontier IT and engineering areas relevant primarily to nation.
- Conduct an array of effective and useful programs recognizing the need of adequately qualified and capable professionals in various disciplines of Applied Science and Engineering.
- develop the institution into a Center of Excellence for Higher Education by enhancing teaching, learning and research activities accelerate the national development process by producing job market-driven, responsible, productive, welfare focused and committed human resources
- link the university system with community services
The vision of FOST is to be a premier IT, engineering education institution at par with world class role models. The FOST vision is to continue to achieve national and international recognition through the impact of alumni in three core areas: computer science, IT and Engineering. Our vision includes our department being a collegial, collaborative and welcoming environment in which to learn and work and also to be a leader in preparing research-oriented scientists equipped with high-tech skills and profound ethical values.