Nepal Medical Council
National Academy of Medical Sciences (NAMS)
Medicine and Health Care
Anaesthesiology is a medical speciality involved in provision of life support, insensibility to pain, both for surgical procedures and child birth. It also includes assessment and management of critically ill patients; as well as assessment and management of pain.
Pass percentage and degree awarded : Minimum pass percentages are 50% overall in Clinical Practicals, including that obtained from the formative assessment, with minimum
The candidates who pass the examination will be awarded the degree of Doctor of Medicine in Anesthesiology, MD (Anesthesiology) by National Academy of Medical Sciences.
Candidates should be:
1. Capable of practising as a specialist in anaesthesia.
2. Capable of organising and implementing the service and educational programme.
3. Able to develop skills of critical analysis of scientific literatures
4. Capable of conducting and supervising research activities.
5. Conversant with recent advances in anaesthesiology and allied subjects
6. Capable of communicating effectively & efficiently with teachers, colleagues, patients and relatives.
7. Capable of self directed learning & Continuing Medical Education.
At the end of the MD course the students would have acquired or developed knowledge, and skills so that the candidate would be able to:
1. Assess and prepare patients for anaesthesia.
2. Provide insensibility to pain during surgical, obstetric; therapeutic and diagnostic procedures and manage patients so affected.
3. Monitor and restore homeostasis in the critically ill, injured or otherwise seriously ill patients.
4. Manage and teach cardiac pulmonary and cerebral resuscitation.
5. Manage painful syndromes.
6. Supervise, teach and evaluate performances of both medical and other health personnel involved in anaesthesia, respiratory and critical care.
7. Conduct research at the clinical and basic science level to explain and improve the care of patients.
8. Develop qualities of initiatives, creativity, sound judgement and logical deduction so as to provide academic leadership in anaesthesia.