The goals of the Patan Academy of Health Sciences are to:
• Train technically competent, caring and socially responsible physicians and other health care professionals who:
- believe in compassion, love, respect, fairness and excellence
- communicate well with patients, family and colleagues
- are committed to life long learning
- have the willingness and ability to become inspiring leaders in their respective fields and deal with the existing and emerging health care challenges in Nepal.
• Sustain and upgrade the quality of the current health services of the PAHS-related hospitals preserving the tradition of giving special consideration to the needs of the poor and disadvantaged.
• Undertake appropriate clinical, public health and biomedical research.
• Work in collaboration with the national health system (NHS) to contribute to the improvement of the health status of the people in Nepal, and proactively encourage the national government in the development of appropriate health policies, programs and systems to uplift the health of the rural poor.
• Enable deserving students from underprivileged sectors of Nepali society to access health science education, including medical, nursing and other allied health science education.
The Patan Academy of Health Sciences (PAHS) is dedicated to improving the health status of the people of Nepal by producing doctors who are willing and able to provide health care to disadvantaged Nepalis living in remote or rural areas. The academy will initially consist of a medical school, which will begin to teach prospective doctors in 2009. In the future, PAHS is expected to open a School of Public Health, a School of Nursing, a School of Allied Health Sciences, and schools to train other health care professionals.
A goal of PAHS is that its graduates will not only provide severely needed medical care in rural Nepal, but will also eventually become leaders in health care policy, dedicated to improving the health of the remote and destitute populations in Nepal. Furthermore, PAHS will serve as a model of innovative medical education in a developing country, which can be replicated elsewhere.
PAHS is located in the city of Patan, Nepal, which is adjacent to the capital city of Kathmandu. PAHS is based at Patan Hospital, which will become the major teaching hospital for the academy.
PAHS Administration is located at Patan Hospital, in Patan, Nepal.
PATAN ACADEMY OF HEALTH SCIENCES
P. O. Box 26500, Kathmandu