Anaesthesia is a medical specially which includes patient assessment and provision of life support. Analgesia for both surgical procedures and childbirth & assessment and management of critically ill patients; as well as assessment and management of pain.
This course is suitable for those who want to deliver services in the preoperative setting, pain management, and critical care, excellence in the education of medical students, residents, and fellows and to contribute to the specialty of anesthesiology through the commitment to education, research and scholarly activities care good match for it.
The candidates who pass the examination will be awarded the degree of Doctor of Medicine (Anaesthesiology) by Tribhuvan University. They will be able able to do the following things:
- Practicing as a higher specialist in anaesthesia
- Teaching the specialty and educating the patient and community
- Organizing and implementing the service and educational program
- Conducting and supervising research activities
- Communicating effectively & efficiently with teachers, colleagues, patients and relatives
- Self directed learning & Continuing Medical Education
- Assess and prepare patients for anaesthesia.
- Provide insensibility to pain during surgical, obstetric; therapeutic and diagnostic procedures and manage patients so affected.
- Monitor and restore homeostasis in the critically ill injured or otherwise seriously ill patients.
- Manage and teach cardiac pulmonary and cerebral resuscitation.
- Manage painful syndromes.
- Supervise, teach and evaluate performances of both medical and other health personnel involved in anaesthesia, respiratory and critical care.
- Conduct research at the clinical and basis science level to explain and improve the care of patients.
- Develop qualities on initiatives, creativity, sound judgement and logical dedication so as to provide academic leadership in anaesthesia.
- Must possess MBBS or equivalent qualification recognized by Tribhuvan University.
- Permanent registration with Nepal Medical Council.
- Must be eligible for the entrance examination of Institute of Medicine, Tribhuvan University
- Successful candidate at the entrance examination will be selected on merit basis.
- Paper I applied basic sciences 80 marks
- Paper II principles and practice of anaesthesia 80 marks
- Paper III Subspecialties and recent advances in
- anaesthesia 80 marks
- Clinical long/semi long/short cases 100 marks
- OSCE 10-20 stations 100 marks
- Viva two tables, each with one external and
- one internal examiners 100 marks
- Manage anaesthesia for ASA GRI, if patients
- Perform and demonstrate CPR
- Thesis planning. Submit thesis protocol.
- Develop communicative skill
- Interpretation of radiological findings, ECG common lab investigations.
- Manage anaesthesia for ASA III, IV patients.
- Manage regional anaesthesia, IV anaesthesia.
- Manage anaesthesia for specialised surgery e.g. Obstetric and Paediatrics.
- Posting in the Medical Department.
- Teaching Jouniors.
- Complete thesis work.
- Organise departmental meeting.
- Anaesthesia for super specialised surgery e.g. Cardiac and Neurosurgery.
- Management of patients on long term ventilation.
Elective period of 6 months - for one or more of the following areas :
Eye centre or to any other centre considered appropriate, for two weeks experience in doing orbital blocks.
One month in critical care area of the Kanti Children’s Hospital.
Two weeks at a surgical camp.
Clinical or basis science area where the candidate is deficient, as recommended by his/her preceptor or as requested by the candidate.
Any other clinical or basic science area.
- Management of pain.
- Defend thesis.
- Organisational work.