Diploma in Mechanical Engineering is of three years, six semesters program run by CTEVT in Nepal.
It is designed to produce middle level competent technical workforce equipped with knowledge and skills related to the specialization areas of Product Design, Maintenance Engineering, Power Generation Engineering and Industrial Engineering under mechanical engineering so as to meet the demand of such workforce in the country and to contribute in the national streamline of poverty reduction of this country of Nepal.
This curriculum includes the core subjects like physics, chemistry, and mathematics applicable in the field of engineering. It also includes Nepali and English subjects for the communication. The course structure and the subject wise contents that reflect the details of the curriculum. In short, the aim of this curriculum is to produce competent and highly employable middle level technical workforce in the field of mechanical engineering. The contents of individual subjects prescribed in the curriculum are incorporated in the light of "must to know and must to do" principle.
Currently 6 different Technical schools are given affiliation by CTEVT to offer diploma in Mechanical Engineering program. Annual enrollment capacity of Nepalese colleges in Diploma in Mechanical Engineering is 204 students.
Diploma in Mechanical Engineering course of CTEVT has following objectives:
1 To produce middle level competent technical workforce/human resource (Technical and Supervisory staffs) in Mechanical Engineering with specialization in the following areas;
· Product Design
· Maintenance Engineering
· Power Generation Engineering
· Industrial Engineering
2. To prepare such technicians who are able to work in the local industrial settings of the country.
3. To prepare such technical workforce who will demonstrate positive attitude and respect for the profession and socio-cultural values.
4. To help meet the demand of such technical workforce for the industries of Nepal.
5. To reduce the dependence on employing such technicians from foreign countries.
Medium of Instruction
The medium of instruction will be in English and/or Nepali.
The total duration of this program is three years. Each year consists of two semesters of six months. Moreover, one semester consists of 19.5 academic week's including the evaluation period. Actual teaching learning hours will be not less than 15 weeks in each semester.
Pattern of Attendance
Minimum of 90% attendance in each subject is required to appear in the respective final examination.
The students must secure minimum 40% marks both in theory and practical (Lab). Moreover, the students must secure minimum 40% marks in the internal assessment and 40% in the final semester examination of each subject to pass all subjects offered in each semester.
The overall achievement of each student will be measured by a final aggregate percentage of all final semester examinations and graded as follow: -
- Distinction : > or =80 %
- First division : 65 % to < 80 %
- Second division : 50 % to 65 %
- Pass : 40 % to < 50 %
- Students who have passed all the components of all subjects of all six semesters are considered to have successfully completed the course.
- Students who have successfully completed the course will be awarded with a degree of Diploma in Mechanical Engineering.
Secured at least grade C in Compulsory Mathematics, and Compulsory Science and Grade D+ in English in School leaving Certificate (SLC) examination from recognized academic institution.
Applicants fulfilling the entry criteria will be selected for admission on the basis of merit.
- SLC or equivalent with English, Science, and Mathematics or related TSLC
- Should pass the entrance examination.
- Physically fit for the program.
Selection: Applicants fulfilling the entry criteria are selected for admission on the basis of merit.
The graduates will be eligible for the position equivalent to non-gazette 1st class (technical) as mechanical technician or as prescribed by the public service commission of Nepal. The graduate will be eligible for registration with the related council in the grade as mentioned in the related council act (if any).