The M.Sc. in Biotechnology program is of four semesters. In first and second semester, basic theory and practical courses are offered. In third semester, special courses in biotechnology are offered. Fourth Semester is for thesis work.
Objectives of the course
To produce high level knowledgeable and skilled manpower capable of carrying out independent advanced research in biotechnology as well as competent to ably perform related jobs in industry and academics.
A semester consists of 16 weeks.
- Theory: One credit is equivalents to 16 teaching hours in a semester or one credit equals to one-teaching hour in a week.
- Laboratory work: One credit is equals to 64 Practical hours in a semester or one credit equals to 4 practical hours in a week.
1. Central Department of Biotechnology Scholarship
One full and two partial scholarships will be provided to academically outstanding students. A full scholarship will cover a semester fee only. A partial scholarship will be not more than 50% of a semester fee. Scholarship will be decided in each semester according to the academic performance of the student in the previous semester final examination. If the full scholarship is received by a male candidate, one partial scholarship will be reserved for a female candidate.
2.Drs. Rekha and Sreerama Scholarship
Award one partial scholarship of Rs.10,000 to a poor student every semester and this scholarship may be granted at the beginning of every semester. The selection criteria could be that (i) the student passes all subjects every semester and receives an overall first division, (ii) the student must have attended public schools at the level of SLC, +2 and B.Sc. Rural background of the students and students that may have studied in Nepali medium at SLC level could be additional factors. If additional criteria could be found to identify poor students would be much appreciated.
3.Dr. L. Sreerama Schoarship
Award one partial scholarship of Rs.10,000 to one of the top ten performing students each year. Such a student should not have received another scholarship that year.
Award one partial scholarship of Rs.10,000 to one of the top ten performing female students each year. Such a female student should not have received another scholarship that year.
Prof. Dr. Sreerama and Prof. Dr. G.K Rekha have established a fund to award Gold Medal (Drs. Rekha andLakshmaiah Sreerama Gold Medal) to the student securing top position each year. The medal will be awarded to the topper during convocation ceremony organized by Tribhuvan University.
Eligibility required to Study M.Sc In Biotechnology in Tribhuvan University
- Candidates with Bachelor degree in Biotechnology, Microbiology, Agricultural Science, Biochemistry, Environmental Science (with chemistry and biological science), Medical Lab Technology (BMLT), Food Technology, and Bachelor degree in science with chemistry and biological sciences (Botany and/ Zoology), from Tribhuvan University or equivalent degrees from other recognized institutes or universities are eligible for admission.
- The candidate must secure at least 50% marks in aggregate in Bachelor level
- Students must attend and pass the entrance examination.
- Pass mark for the entrance examination is 35%.
- Students will be enrolled on the basis of merit. Merit list is published on the basis of both marks obtained in Bachelor level and entrance examination.
Merit list: = 20% (marks obtained in B.Sc) + 80 % (marks secured in entrance examination)
In Central department and constituent campuses of Tribhuvan University; out of total available seats 80% seats will be filled from free competition and 20% from reserved (inclusive) category.
Students who want to compete from proportional representation category must fulfilled following criteria.
- Passed SLC from community schools
- Students who are permanent resident of backward region must have passed SLC from the same region
- Students must have passed Bachelor level from constitutent campus of Tribhuvan University or Community campuses.
If any seats remain vacant in the inclusive/reserved category; remaining seats will be fulfilled from the merit list of free competition.
Someone who has earned the MSc in Biotechnology can work in research or development in a variety of bioengineering fields. These include pharmaceutical or medical design, genetic engineering, biofuel production, and industrial biotechnology systems. Potential employers include universities, research institutions, and private companies.
Biotechnology is a rapidly growing field having enormous scope in future. A lot of career opportunities are available in both the public and private sector. The jobs under various sectors after completing a master degree in biotechnology include work in the departments like-:
- Research Labs and Industries
- Pharmaceutical Companies
- Food Processing Industry
- Chemical Industry
- Textile Industry
- Department of Biotechnology
- Dairy and Horticulture Institutes
- Public Funded Laboratories
- Chemical Industries
- Agriculture Industries
- Environment Control Organizations
- Waste Management Industries
- Energyand Allied Industries
- Bio-Processing Industries
- Aquaculture Industries
A lot of job opportunities both in the public and private sector are available for the students who have pursued M.Sc.biotechnology:
- Research Associate
- Sales Personal
- Marketing Executive
- Administration Control Officer
- Quality Control Executive
- Technical Support
- Medical Representative
- Research Scientist
- Business Development Manager
- Environmental and Safety Specialist
- Engineer (Chemical, Electrical, Environmental and Industrial)
- Lab Technician