Tribhuvan University institute of Forestry offers M.Sc. in Forestry. Tribhuvan University, Institute of Forestry Pokhara Campus
runs Master Degree Programs in different areas with an objective to
produce well-trained and practically equipped human resources that can
be instrumental in protection, conservation, and management of forests
and other natural resources of the country and the world.
- To produce high level technical professionals who can provide services according to the needs of various clients (government, semi-government,and private companies/industries)
- To produce self-reliant and practically oriented resource managers who can initiate their own enterprises in the area of forestry and forest based industries and also provide consultancy services to other interested individuals and organizations
- To utilize under-used resources of the IOF and explore other potential resources and make IOF as a center of excellence in the area of teaching, research and extension in forestry
- To develop professional relationships with various organizations(Government, bilateral and multilateral forestry projects in Nepal), donor agencies, and other in-country and out-country academic and research institutions
M.Sc. Forestry is a
two-yearlong, four-semester programs. Students will have to take
courses in the first three semester sand carry out research and write a
thesis in the fourth semester. However, they are required to start
planning their thesis work right from the second semester in
consultation with the Advisory Committee.
A total of 15+ 1 seats are available in M.Sc. Watershed Management program.These seats are allocated as follows:
- Low tuition fee: 12 seats
- High Tuition fee: 3 seats
- One seat for IOF staff
|S.N.||Course Code||Course Title||Credit Hours|
|1.||FPE 701||Non-timber Forest Products||2|
|2.||SFM 702||Community Forestry and Governance||2|
|3.||SFM 703||Natural Resource Economics||2|
|4.||WME 704||Global Environmental Change||2|
|5.||SFB 705||Advance Silviculture||2|
|6.||PWM 706||Biodiversity Conservation and Protected Area Management||2|
|Semester Credit Hours||12|
|8.||SFM 752||Statistical Method and Data Management||3|
|9.||PWM 753||Ecotourism Planning and Management||2|
|10.||SFM 754||Sustainable Forest Management||3|
|12.||PWM 756||Wildlife Biology||2|
|Semester Credit Hours||14|
|13.||SFM 801||Research Methodology and Participatory Action Research||2|
|14.||WME 802||Geographical Information Science||4|
|15.||SFB 803||Advance Forest Ecology||2|
|16.||SFM 805||Project Management*||2|
|17.||SFB 806||Forest Protection||2|
|19.||FPE 808||Programming C++*||2|
|20.||SFM 810||Experiential Learning *||2|
|21.||R & T 851||Seminar I (Proposal Presentation)||1|
|Semester Credit Hours||13|
|23.||R&T 853||Seminar II (Thesis Defense)||1|
|Semester Credit Hours||11|
|Total Credit Hours||50|
*Elective Courses (any two courses are required for registration from the group of elective courses)
An elective course will be offered only when at least seven students registered for the course.
Applicants must have B. Sc. Forestry degree securing minimum of 50 percent marks in aggregate from the Institute of Forestry, Tribhuvan University (T.U.) or at least a three-year B. Sc. Forestry degree securing minimum of 50 percent marks in aggregate from recognized Universities by the Tribhuvan University. Foreign applicants should have studied their undergraduate courses in English medium.
Interested and eligible candidates can apply for admission to the M.Sc. programs by filling out the prescribed application forms and submitting the documents and credentials as mentioned below. Application forms and program brochures are available upon request for Rs. 200.00 (Two Hundred Rupees only) by the Nepalese citizens.
Nepalese applicants have
to pay an entrance examination fee of Rs. 1500.00 with application.
Foreign nationals have to pay US $ 25.00 at the time of submission of
application. The completed application along with the documents and
credentials should reach the Admission Committee in advance.
Required Documents and Credentials
transcript of B.Sc. degree in respective fields. In case an applicant
is a graduate of a university other than Tribhuvan University, he/she
has to submit a certificate of migration and a certificate of
recognition and equivalence of his/her educational qualification from
Curriculum Development Centre, TU.
- Character Certificate
- Citizenship certificate for Nepalese candidates
- Three recent passport sized photographs
- Candidates for the IOF staff seat must submit a no objection certificate from his/her Campus Chief and must be officially nominated by the IOF.
- Candidates from other countries must have a financial support affidavit.
Nepalese applicants have to take a three-hour long entrance examination. The questions asked in this examination are of multiple choice objective types, based on forestry and natural resource management courses of B.Sc. Forestry program. Full marks for the examination are 300 and an applicant must secure a minimum of 40% (120 marks) marks to pass the test. The final merit list of applicants will be prepared by adding 20% marks of the B.Sc. Degree to 80% of the marks obtained by the candidates in the entrance examination.
Names of candidates who pass the entrance test will appear in the result list in merit order. Foreign applicants will be selected on the basis of their grades secured in the B.Sc. Degree. In case the seats reserved for foreign students remain vacant, these will be considered the high-tuition fee seats for Nepalese applicants. Candidates will be selected on the basis of their merit. In case the seats in high tuition fee remain vacant, successful Nepalese applicants who have applied for low tuition fee will be given an opportunity for admission, if s/he agrees to pay the high tuition fee.