Medical Laboratory Technology is generally concerned with diagnosis, treatment and prevention with use of pathological tests. As vital members of health care team, Lab Technicians play a key role in collecting information to provide best care to the patients.
Certificate in Medical Laboratory Technology (CMLT)/PCL in Medical Lab Technology program of CTEVT creates and fosters skilled health professionals in clinical laboratory science for diagnosis of diseases that decide the life of individuals who may be the only breadwinner of the family or the only child of his/her parents. Students who enroll for this program will be provided theoretical as well as practical knowledge of different clinical laboratory techniques.
CMLT course is based on the academic requirements to enter into bachelor level health sciences as well as able to provide diagnostic laboratory services as a middle level human health resource. After completion of the course the graduate is expected to perform laboratory procedures as per assigned by Nepal Health Professional council independently at different level health institutions in Nepal and abroad.
CMLT program is three academic years' duration. The first year course focuses on basic science and foundation subjects, the second year course focuses on basic laboratory subject theory/practical simultaneously and the third year is given to the application of learned skills and knowledge within the comprehensive practical settings, in hospitals and medical laboratory.
Program aim and Objectives
The course aims to produce middle level medical laboratory technology personnel with sound academic knowledge equipped with perfect technical skills who can face real life situation at the level they are aimed at. The course enables students to:
- Perform routine and special laboratory investigations on clinical and non-clinical samples independently.
- Interpret the results and explain underlying principles in each investigation.
- Prepare reagents required for routine and special investigations.
- Set up clinical laboratory in primary health centre and district level.
- Practice quality control system in medical laboratory to deliver quality laboratory service.
- Perform middle level laboratory management works, supervision of subordinates and preparation of reports.
- Assist in research works.
Medium of Instruction
The medium of instruction will be in English and/or Nepali.
The CMLT program extends to over three academic years. One academic year consists of 39 academic weeks and one academic week consists of 32 to 37 hours.
Pattern of Attendance
Minimum of 80% attendance is required to appear in final examination.
The pass marks for theory and practical examinations are:
- 40% in theory examination
- 60% in practical examination
The following grading system will be adopted:
- Pass division: Pass aggregate to below 65%
- First division: 65% or above
- Distinction: 80% or above
The council for technical education and vocational training will award certificate in "Certificate Level in Medical Health Laboratory Science" to the candidate who successfully completes the requirements as prescribed by the council.
Secured at least grade C in C. Mathematics, C. English and C.Science in School leaving Certificate (SLC) examination from recognized academic institution and an average GPA of at least 2.
The entry criteria are:
SLC with 45% in aggregate with English, Science and Mathematics as compulsory subjects and TSLC in Lab Technology with first division
Passed entrance examination administered by CTEVT
Applicant should submit the following documents at the time of application:SLC pass certificateCharacter certificateCitizenship certificate (for the name, parents name, age, date of birth and address verification purpose only)Physical fitness certificate (at the time of admission)
Note: Student quota for different category of students as per the policy of CTEVT
The graduates will be eligible for the position equivalent to Non-gazetted 5th level (technical) as Medical Lab Technician or as prescribed by the Public Service Commission. The graduate is eligible for registration with the Nepal Health Professional Council in the grade as mentioned in the Nepal Health Professional Council Act.
What after completion?
- Clinical laboratory testing plays a crucial role in the detection, diagnosis, and treatment of disease. Medical laboratory technicians are trained to work under the supervision of a technologist to conduct routine diagnostic tests, as well as set up, clean and maintain medical laboratory equipment:
- You can explore a wide field of opportunity right after you complete your course of Medical Laboratory Technology.
- Registration in Nepal Health Professional Council as LAB TECHNICIAN.
- Job opportunities in public hospitals and research laboratories, different departments of Hospitals like Pathology (Hematology, Blood Bank, Histology, Cytology), Microbiology (Bacteriology, Parasitology, Mycology and Virology), Serology and Biochemistry as a Medical Lab Technician.
- Can do jobs in polycilincs, Medical center and establish their own laboratory for diagnosis purposes.
- Career at private hospital, nursing homes and diagnostic center
- Self employment through private practice
Future Academic Career
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Technology (BMLT)
- Bachelor in Public Health (BPH)