Medical Laboratory Technology is one of the largest and most important professions that provide allied health care.A Bachelor's of Science in Clinical Laboratory is a four-year degree that prepares a student to take a job as a clinical laboratory scientist (technologist) upon graduation or to further their education by entering medical or dental school. These technologists are skilled scientists who perform tests that aid in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases. As vital members of the health care team, they assist physicians during the diagnosis and treatment of patients.
In this academic year a total of Ten Candidates will be admitted. These seats are divided between Nepali and SAARC candidate as follows:
1. For Nepali Candidates under Heavily Subsidized Tuition Fee Scheme (HSTFS):
1.1. Open Category - 8 seats
1.2. Ward of BPKIHS-faculty/staff - 1 seat**
2. Full Tuition Fee Scheme (FTFS):
SAARC seat - 1 seat
Total Seats 10
Other Important Information:
In case of those candidates who have passed the I.Sc. without appearing in one or more of the essential subject(s), viz. Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and English, but passed that/those subject(s) at a subsequent examination, the marks actually secured by them in the subject(s) at the subsequent examination will be considered for calculating the percentage of marks in the qualifying examination.
**Eligibility Criteria for the BPKIHS Faculty/Staff Seat:
One seat is reserved in all the educational programmes at BPKIHS for son or daughter of BPKIHS Nepali faculty/staff who have continuously served the Institute for 3 years (part time staff are not eligible). The selection of candidates in these seats will also be completely on the basis of merit of the Entrance examination. After the selection of the child the staff has to continue his/her services at least for further 4 years if the Institute requires his/her services. Failure to comply this rule, parent of the student (faculty/staff) will have to pay tuition fee as decided by the Institute.
Structure of the Entrance Examination
Admission either in HSTFS or FTFS seats will be based entirely on merit as judged through Entrance Examination comprising of multiple choice questions in Physics, Chemistry, Biology, English, General Knowledge and Aptitude for the specialty.
The Entrance Examination will be of 3½ hours duration and will have one paper consisting of 200 objective- type questions. The language of the question paper will be English. The distribution of marks will be as follows:
10+2/I. Sc. (Physics, Chemistry, Biology & English) - 100
(25 marks from each subject)
Health/Laboratory Sciences - 100
Entrance examination will be common for candidates with science and Medical Laboratory Science background. The general standard of the Entrance examination will be that of the Intermediate Science, 12th class under the 10+2 system or an equivalent examination of Higher Secondary Council. No syllabus for the examination has been specifically prescribed by BPKIHS.
FEES AND EXPENSES
Each candidate selected for admission shall have to pay the following fees and dues immediately after the announcement of the list of selected candidates, and after they are declared medically fit by the Medical Board, failing which his/her admission shall be cancelled and the candidate on the waiting list shall be admitted in his/her place in the respective programmes.
(a) Under Heavily Subsidized Tuition Fee Scheme (in Rs.)
1. Admission fee : 2,500/- per year
2. Library Fee : 3,000/- per year
3. Laboratory Fee : 4,000/ per year
4. Student welfare fund
(Identity Card, Games Fee) : 4,000/- per year
5. Tuition Fee : 2,000/-per month
6. Hostel Fee : 1,500/-per month
7. Hostel maintenance Fee : 4,000/-per year
8. a. Annual Examination Fee : 4,000/- per year
b. Supplementary Examination Fee : 4,000/- per year
9. Deposit (Refundable) : 15,000/- (one time)
(for library, laboratory and telephone, etc.)
10. Health Insurance Premium : 1,000/-per year (Approx.)
(Premium depends on the company chosen for this purpose)
11. Nepal Health Professionals Council Fee Rs 1,000/- (one time) 14
(b) Under Full Tuition Fee Scheme (only for foreign candidates):
1. Admission fee : US $ 50 per year
2. Library Fee : US $ 60 per year
3. Laboratory Fee : US $ 60 per year
4. Student welfare fund
(Identity Card, Games Fee) : US $ 60 per year
5. Tuition Fee
SAARC : US $ 5,000 per year
6. Hostel Fee : US $ 250 per year
7. Hostel maintenance Fee : US $ 60 per year
8. a. Annual Examination Fee : US $ 60 per year
b. Supplementary Examination Fee : US $ 60 per year
9. Deposit (Refundable) : US $ 500 (one time)
10. Health Insurance Premium : US $ 15 per year approx.
(Premium depends on the company chosen for this purpose).
11. Nepal Health Professionals Council Fee US $ 16 (one time)
Please note (for all Tuition Fee Schemes):
1. The Governing Body of the Institute may change or review the fees and expenses.
2. The fee and other charges including hostel rent, once paid, shall not be refunded, if a student leaves the Institute for any reason. No correspondence on this matter shall be entertained.
3. Tuition fee & Hostel fee under HSTFS can be paid in 3 equal installments, the first being paid at the time of admission and at intervals not exceeding four months thereafter. All other fees should be paid at the time of admission. The last date of payment of fees must be strictly adhered to. No extension is possible unless an exceptional case by prior approval from the Registrar not extending a period of 15 days from the last date with payment of fine Rs. 100/- per day for the 2nd or 3rd installment. For further delay after 15 days the following fine shall be imposed:
For HSTFS Rs. 150/- per day
For FTFS Rs. 500/- per day
For further default, the Registrar may impose such penalty, as he/she considers appropriate.
The field of clinical laboratory science is one of the fastest growing areas of medical science. Qualified clinical laboratory scientists are in demand and will be well into the future. The degree qualifies graduates for many medical related occupations such as working in clinical laboratories in doctor's offices, hospitals or public health offices. He/she may work for a chemical supply or pharmaceutical company or as a laboratory supervisor or manger. Other career areas include working for a health regulatory agency, as a sales and technical representation for scientific equipment company or in research and education.
Candidates who have passed
i. I.Sc. or 10+2(science stream) or equivalent examinations; and
ii. are at least 17 years of age by the last date of application
Candidates who have passed certificate level course (2½ years after SLC or 1+year after I.Sc.) in Medical Laboratory from institutions recognized by the BPKIHS.