Diploma in Agricultural Engineering program is offered by technical schools affiliated to the Council for Technical Education and Vocational Training (CTEVT). Nepal, being an agricultural country, relies heavily on farming as the main occupation of its people. With the government's focus on commercial agriculture farming practices, there is a growing need for skilled technical workforce in the agriculture sector. CTEVT, as the primary institution for producing basic and middle-level technical workforce, recognizes the importance of offering a diploma course in Agricultural Engineering.
Agricultural Engineering is a field that holds significance not only in developed countries but also in developing and underdeveloped countries. It plays a vital role in the development of the agriculture sector and creates opportunities for wage and self-employment in both public and private sectors.
The curriculum of the Diploma in Agricultural Engineering program is designed to produce competent middle-level technical workforce equipped with the necessary knowledge and skills in the field. The program aims to meet the demand for such workforce in the country and contribute to the national economic development of Nepal. The knowledge and skills acquired through this curriculum will cater to individual needs as well as the overall needs in the field of Agricultural Engineering.
The program focuses on preparing students for the job requirements of Agricultural Engineering Technicians (Agricultural Overseer) at different levels in public and private sectors, particularly for physical infrastructure development related works in Nepal. The program spans over three years, divided into six semesters.
In addition to foundational subjects like Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics, which are applicable to all engineering fields, the curriculum includes language subjects such as Nepali and English for effective communication. The disciplinary subjects specific to Agricultural Engineering are offered in all semesters. The program also provides opportunities for project works and elective subjects in specialized areas of Agricultural Engineering.
The curriculum structure and subject-wise content have been carefully designed to produce competent and highly employable middle-level technical workforce in the field of Agricultural Engineering. The curriculum follows a "must know and must do" principle, ensuring that students acquire the necessary theoretical knowledge and practical skills to excel in their careers.
By enrolling in the Diploma in Agricultural Engineering program, you are embarking on a journey to become a skilled professional who can contribute to the commercialization and development of agriculture farming in Nepal. The micro-level details incorporated in the curriculum will guide both the instructors and students towards achieving excellence in the field.
The program aims to produce middle level technical personnel in the field of agricultural engineering with sound academic knowledge equipped with perfect technical skills that can be faced in real life situation.
This curriculum has following objectives to:
- Prepare technicians who are capable of undertaking works in agricultural engineering field as Agricultural Engineering Technicians for commercial agriculture farming:
- Prepare technician who are capable of undertaking works such as; Farm Structures & Infrastructure Development, Irrigation and Drainage Construction, Soil and Water Conservation, Farm Machinery Operation & Maintenance, Food Processing and Storage etc.;
- Prepare technicians who are capable of undertaking works under commercial agriculture farming, Irrigation, Rural Infrastructure Development and other civil infrastructures development related departments and sectors;
- Produce middle level competent technical workforce/human resources who can provide supervisory works of agricultural engineering;
- Prepare technical workforce who will demonstrate positive attitude and respect for the profession and socio-cultural values;
- Help in meeting the demand of required Agricultural Engineering Technicians for the public and private infrastructure development sector of Nepal:
- Create self-employment opportunities.
The group size will be a maximum of 48 [forty-eight] students in a batch. The medium of instruction will be in English and/or Nepali. A minimum of 90% attendance in each subject is required to appear in the respective final examination.
- SLC Pass or SEE with minimum C grade in Compulsory Mathematics & Science and D+ in English.
- Pre-diploma in Civil Engineering with minimum 67.00%.
- Should pass the entrance examination administered by CTEVT.
The total duration of this curricular program is three academic years [six semesters]. The program is based on a semester system. Moreover, one semester consists of 19.5 academic weeks including an evaluation period. Actual teaching learning Hrs. will be not less than 15 weeks in each semester.