The MBBS program of BPKIHS started in 1994,is recognized by Medical Council of Nepal, India and Sri-Lanka. It is listed in the World Directory of Medical Schools published by the WHO.
The Curricula of Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) B. P. Koirala Institute of Health Sciences is designed to produce caring, community oriented, conscientious & communicative doctors best suited to work in Nepal.
A total of one hundred fiftEEN (115) seats in MBBS program is available divided in different schemes for Nepalese and other nationals.
Advice to Parents and Applicants:
Studying MBBS is very difficult and only those with genuine interest and the willingness to work extremely hard should attempt to study. Both candidates and parents are advised against choosing these subjects without proper thought.
Weak academic foundation and studying under family pressure against the interests of the candidates can lead to depression, drug addiction, dropouts, financial loss and sometimes suicides.
Parents are requested not to persuade their wards to study these subjects for their personal pride and satisfaction.
Studying medicine to please parents can be sometimes devastating to both parents and their wards. It is always wise to study a subject of your interest.
Entrance Examination is common for all schemes of MBBS and BDS programs. It will be conducted by BPKIHS in different centres of Dharan and Biratnagar. The confirmed centre of examination will be indicated in the Admit Card.
a) Structure of The Examination
The Entrance Examination for all schemes comprises of multiple choice questions in Physics, Chemistry, Biology, English, Introduction to Health, Aptitude for Medicine/Dentistry and General Knowledge.
The Entrance Examination will be of 3½ hours duration and will have one paper consisting of 200 Multiple Choice Questions. The language of the question paper will be English. The distribution of marks will be as follows:
English, Introduction to Health, Aptitude
for Medical/Dental and General Knowledge 50
The general standard of the Entrance Examination will be that of the Intermediate Science, 12th class under the 10+2 system or an equivalent examination of Higher Secondary Council. No syllabus for the examination has been specifically prescribed by BPKIHS.
4. Students not paying fees along with the mess charges on time will not be allowed to sit in the annual examination. Admit card for such students will not be issued.
5. All fees under FTFS should be paid annually. In case of failure to pay the fees in time, the Registrar may impose such penalty, as he/she considers appropriate.
6. Students of all schemes who have to repeat the academic year due to failure or any disciplinary action should pay fees as follows:
a. Tuition Fee: 15% of the total tuition fee
b. All other fees: 100% as mentioned in the prospectus.
7. Other equipment/tools etc. as required have to be bought by all candidates themselves.
8. Hostel accommodation will be on sharing basis.
Structure of the Entrance Examination
Admission either in HSTFS or FTFS seats will be based entirely on merit as judged through Entrance Examination comprising of multiple choice questions in Physics, Chemistry, Biology, English, General Knowledge and Aptitude for the specialty.
The Entrance Examination will be of 3½ hours duration and will have one paper consisting of 200 objective- type questions. The language of the question paper will be English. The distribution of marks will be as follows:
10+2/I. Sc. (Physics, Chemistry, Biology & English) - 100
(25 marks from each subject)
Health/Laboratory Sciences - 100
Entrance examination will be common for candidates with science and Medical Laboratory Science background. The general standard of the Entrance examination will be that of the Intermediate Science, 12th class under the 10+2 system or an equivalent examination of Higher Secondary Council. No syllabus for the examination has been specifically prescribed by BPKIHS.
Seats: BPKIHS enrolls 115 students in MBBS program,Nepalese candidates will be able to compete for 60 seats.
i. have passed I.Sc., class XII examination of the 10+2 system, or its equivalent Higher Secondary Council, with Biology, Physics, Chemistry, and English as their major subjects and obtained at least 50% marks in the aggregate in these subjects; and
ii. are at least 17 years of age by the last date of submission of application are eligible to apply in the MBBS and/or BDS courses.
Note: For Nepali Candidates applying under FTFS (Non-SAARC) Category: Those residing in Non-SAARC Countries and who have fulfilled Criteria-(i) as above from the same country are eligible.
Eligibility for reserved seats under HSTFS:
a. Hill District Category:
Candidates from the following selected hill districts and who have studied and passed class 8, 9 and 10 from public schools situated in these districts are eligible for hill district category seats.
Selected Hill Districts:
Bajhang, Bajura, Darchula, Dolpa, Humla, Jajarkot, Jumla, Kalikot, Manang, Mugu, Mustang, Rukum, Solukhumbu.
b. Criteria for Dalit Group:
Candidates from Dalit Group as listed in "Hill Tribes and Terai Tribes" by the National Dalit's Commission, Government of Nepal are eligible for the seat allotted to this group.
c. Criteria for Indigenous Nationalities (Janajati):
Indigenous Nationalities (Janajati) as defined by Nepal Federation of Indigenous Nationalities (NEFIN) are as follows:
1) Kusunda 2) Bankariya 3) Raute 4) Surel 5) Hayu 6) Raji 7) Kisan 8) Lepcha 9) Meche 10) Kusbaddiya
1) Majhi 2) Siyar 3) Lohmi 4) Thudam 5) Dhanuk 6) Chepang 7) Satar (Santhal) 8) Jhangad 9) Thami 10) Bote 11) Danuwar 12) Baramu
1) Sunuwar 2) Tharu 3) Tamang 4) Bhujel 5) Kumal 6) Rajbansi 7) Gangai 8) Dhimal 7 9) Bhote 10) Darai 11) Tajpuriya 12) Pahari
13) Topkegola 14) Dolpo 15) Free 16) Mugal 17) Larke 18) Lohpa 19) Dura 20) Walung
1) Gurung 2) Magar 3) Rai 4) Limbu 5) Chhairotan 6) Tangbe 7) Tingaule Thakali 8) Bargaule 9) Marphali Thakali 10) Sherpa 11) Yakkha 12) Chhantyal 13) Jirel 14) Byansi 15) Yolmo
d. Criteria for Under-Privileged Women Group
In the Women Category, female candidates meeting the following criteria are eligible to apply.
Parent(s) or husband of the female candidate should NOT be holding any one of the following posts or positions.
1) Medical/Veterinary Doctor 2) Joint Secretary or above in Govt. of Nepal services 3) Registered class A, B, C Contractor 4) Chairperson and member of Industrial and Commercial Organization 5) Proprietor of Co-operative Organization 6) Foreign Service 7) Mayor/ Deputy Mayor and Chairperson of District Development Committee 8) Chairperson, President/Vice-President, General Secretary of the registered political parties 9) Member of Parliament 10) General Manager, Director, Chair person of Government Sponsored Organizations 11) Professor 12) Member of Women Council 13) Lawyer/Judge 14) Engineer.
Candidates must be the residents of one of the following districts and must have passed class 8, 9 and 10 from public schools situated in these districts.
Acham, Arghakhanchi, Baglung, Baitadi, Bajhang, Bajura, Bhojpur, Dadeldhura, Dailekh, Darchula, Dhading, Dhankuta, Dolakha, Dolpa, Doti, Gorkha, Gulmi, Humla, Ilam, Jajarkot, Jumla, Kalikot, Khotang, Lamjung, Manang, Mugu, Mustang, Myagdi, Okhaldhunga, Panchthar, Parbat, Pyuthan, Ramechhap, Rasuwa, Rolpa, Rukum, Salyan, Sankhuwasabha, Solukhumbu, Taplejung and Terhathum.
e. Ward of BPKIHS Faculty and Staff: Eligibility Criteria
Seats for the ward of BPKIHS Faculty and Staff are for son or daughter of Nepali Faculty/Staff (Permanent), who have continuously served the BPKIHS for at least 3 years and are presently serving the institute. The selection of candidates in these seats will also be on the basis of merit of the Entrance Examination. After the selection of the ward, the faculty/ staff has to continue his/her services at least for further 4 years 8
provided the Institute requires his/her services (service bond should be signed). Failure to comply with this rule, shall lead to the ward of the faculty/ staff to pay tuition fee as applicable for Partially Subsidized Tuition Fee Scheme.
Note: Janajati/Dalit/Hill District category candidates- A copy of certificate issued by the Commission as well as a verification certificate from the district administration authority of concerned district must be attached with the application. A certified letter from concerned district education administration is a must for the Public School from where the candidate studied classes 8, 9 & 10.