The Institute of Forestry (IOF) is the first and only institute in Nepal fully committed to education and training in Forestry and Natural Resource Management. It was established as Nepal Forestry Institute in 1947 under the Nepal Government, Department of Forests at Singha Durbar in Kathmandu. The Institute merged into Tribhuvan University in July 1972 under the name “Institute of Forestry”.
Establishment Institute of Forestry (Timeline)
- 1947 BS: Establishment of Nepal Forestry Institute in Singhadurbar, Kathmandu
- 1957 BS: Moved to Bhimphedi, Makawanpur
- 1965 BS: Moved to Hetauda
- 1972 BS: Incorporated to Tribhuvan University; named Institute of Forestry
- 1981 BS: Establishment of Pokhara Campus
Chronology of Forestry Academic Programs
- 1947 BS: Establishment of Forestry Training Center
- 1981 BS: Start of Technical Certificate level in Forestry and BSc in Forestry
- 2001 BS: Start of MSc forestry program
- 2002 BS: Start of MSc Watershed Management, MSc NRMRD programs
- 2006 BS: Start of PhD in Forestry programs
- 2011 BS: Phase out of TCL in Forestry
- 2018 BS: Start of MSc Wildlife Management and Biodiversity Conservation programs
- 2019 BS: Start of MSc Community Forestry, MSc Mountain Environment and Development Studies programs.