The One Year Master of Education in School Counseling program launched by Kathmandu University is an innovative approach to transform the educational landscape. The program aims to bring systemic change to the existing model of teaching and learning by integrating school counseling programs throughout the entire school environment. Unlike the traditional counselor-based intervention approach, this program emphasizes a program-based mode where counselors design, develop, and deliver school counseling programs for all stakeholders, including parents, teachers, and school personnel. By infusing the spirit of reflective listening into the school system, the program fosters a supportive and flexible learning process, nurturing the natural growth of students and promoting innovative educational practices.
The program recognizes the significance of psychosocial wellbeing in academic and career development. It emphasizes the psychosocial wellbeing of students as a key factor in achieving academic excellence and career success. By addressing the students' psychosocial needs, such as emotional regulation, behavioral flexibility, and interpersonal connections, the program enables individuals to cope with life's challenges, realize their potential, and contribute meaningfully to their communities. In contrast to the prevalent focus on academic achievement alone, this program highlights the importance of holistic student wellbeing.
A student-centered learning approach is central to the comprehensive school counseling program. It trains teachers and stakeholders to cultivate relationships with students through reflective listening, empathetic understanding, and compassionate attitudes. By adopting this approach, students are placed at the center of the learning process, feeling understood, motivated, and empowered to choose academic streams and career paths that align with their interests and choices.
Furthermore, the program introduces the "Doing to Being Mode" in pedagogy, drawing from contemplative science. Unlike the traditional critical pedagogy that focuses on external factors, this program integrates contemplative components such as self-awareness, non-evaluative attention, concentration, and insight. These elements, rooted in cultural traditions, help individuals transform from a "doing" mode to a "being" mode, characterized by calmness, focus, kindness, and compassion. This shift in the state of being brings about changes in the learning process, enhancing overall educational experiences.
The One Year Master of Education in School Counseling program provides a holistic and transformative approach to education, combining academic excellence, psychosocial wellbeing, student-centered learning, and contemplative practices. Graduates of this program will be equipped with the knowledge and skills to revolutionize the educational system, fostering a nurturing and empowering environment for students to thrive both academically and personally.
After the completion of the course the students will be able to: Acquire knowledge, attitude and skills for carrying out academic, career and social emotional counseling in educational settings
- Design, develop and deliver counseling program in school
- Advocate, lead and work as change agent for school counseling program
- Carry out counseling in school to help students to improve their academic achievement
- Develop sound understanding of school counseling
- Help students choose appropriate career path
- Enhance social and emotional wellbeing of students
- Enhance socio-emotional learning of school children
- Develop an understanding of age-appropriate behavior of students
- Develop an identity of school counselor
- Inculcate calm, focused and compassionate way of being
• Educator and trainer in school Counseling
• Professional School Counselor
• School Counselor program designer, developer and implementer
• School Counseling leader, advocate and system change agent
• Entrepreneur in students counseling
• Cultural competent in School Counseling
• Self aware and emotionally intelligent
• Psychosocial Counselor
The candidates having a Master's degree in any discipline from a university or an institution recognized by Kathmandu University are eligible to apply in the One Year M Ed in School Counseling program.
The graduates of "One Year Master of Education in School Counseling program" can get jobs in the following areas;
- College and universities
- Educational Consultancies
- NGOs/ INGOs
- Private Counseling Centers
- Counseling Training Centers
- Government Services
The program is a one-year (two semesters) program for regular students. The program consists of two semesters having 27 credit hours(cr.), that is core courses (6cr.), professional courses (12cr.), Elective Courses (3cr.) and Practical Courses (6cr.). Apart from these courses, non-credit workshops shall be offered. The weightage of the workshop shall be of 30 hours per semester.
Core Courses (6cr.)
- EDUC 508: Theory and Practice in Education (3 credits)
- EDUC 509: Research Methodology (3 credits)
Professional Courses (12cr.)
- EDSC 510: Ethical Practice of School Counseling (3 credits)
- EDSC 511: Theories and Techniques of Counseling (3 credits)
- EDSC 513: Psychosocial issues in School Counseling (3 credits)
- EDSC 516: Program Development and Evaluation in School Counseling (3 credits)
Elective Courses any One (3cr.)
- EDSC 512: Lifespan Development (3 credits)
- EDSC 514: Assessment and Testing in School Counseling (3 credits)
- EDSC 515: Career Development in School (3 credits)
- EDSC 517: Roles of School Counselors (3 credits)
Practical Course (6cr.)
- EDSC 518: Practicum/Internship and
- Supervision in School Counseling (3 credits)
- EDSC 554: Research Project in School Counseling (3 credits)