- Fee:NPR 132,000
The Master in Training and Development (MTD) program offered by Kathmandu University School of Education is designed to develop skilled and visionary training professionals. The program focuses on enhancing "learning for performance" and aims to meet the national development needs in various thematic areas such as education, development, participation, gender, and health.
The program follows adult learning principles, incorporating reflective practice and action learning to empower trainers. It recognizes the importance of aligning training programs with the performance of employees and emphasizes building capacity and evaluating training outcomes. The MTD program equips prospective trainers, facilitators, and training managers with updated theory and practice in training cycle management, including designing teaching-learning materials and delivering high-performance training and facilitation events. It allows students to acquire 21st-century skills through engagement with real-world phenomena and situations.
The master in Training and Development program aims to address the growing demand for qualified trainers in various sectors in Nepal. By integrating contemporary training pedagogy and focusing on practical skills, the program prepares students to meet the challenges of the ever-evolving professional human resource development landscape. It aims to bridge the gap between training programs and desired outcomes, ensuring graduates are well-equipped to deliver practical training and facilitate learning in diverse contexts.
MTD (One Year) program envisages developing human resources in training and facilitation based on the holistic, context-based, and multi-methods approach. Upon completion of the MTD program, the graduates are expected to:
- Demonstrate relevant training need assessment prior to design, develop, and implement any kind of training and facilitation events.
- Develop and design the effective training programs using technologies and tools for achieving outcome-based performance.
- Develop and implement learning strategies for effective trainings and development.
- Evaluate the training and development programs.
- Analyze the organizational needs and create training programs that address the skills gaps and organizational growth.
- Promote diversity and inclusion within training and development programs.
The program is structured to complete in one year but offers flexibility. Students are, however, required to complete all the requirements of the program within two years.
Upon the completion of the course, the program expects the graduates to demonstrate the following attributes:
- Intellectually rigorous in understanding the essentials of training related concepts including, facilitation, coaching, and mentoring.
- Lifelong learner to understand the issues of performance-focused training and capacity building – individual as well as institutional.
- Respectful to learning and capacity building needs of individuals and institutions.
- Compassionate and ethical to the learner-centered training cycle management.
- Critical and creative training professional.
- Skilled in employee and trainee mentoring and advisement.
The candidates having a master’s degree in any discipline from a recognized university or an institution recognized by Kathmandu University are eligible to apply for the program. The program is structured to complete in one year but offers flexibility. Students are, however, required to complete all the requirements of the program within two years.
MTD graduates enjoy a wide spectrum of career opportunity, such as:
- Training Coordinator
- Training and Development Manager
- Capacity Development Specialist
- Training Specialist
- Instructional Designer
- Training Manual Developer
- Professional mentor and advisor
Modes of Delivery
The courses under this program could be delivered on face-to face mode, blended mode, and also on online mode.
Given the nature of the course that requires more opportunity to the engagement of students in practical work, including the internship program, the number of students in each cohort will be limited to 25.
This is a two-semester program comprising nine courses of 3-credits each i.e., 27 credits in total. The program consists of:
a) Two Core Courses (6-credits)
b) Five Professional Courses (15-credits)
c) Two Practical Courses (6-credits).
Total Courses (27 Cr.)
Core Courses (6 Cr.)
1. EDUC 511: Theory and Practice in Education (3 Cr.)
2. EDUC 512: Research Methodology (3 Cr.)
Professional Courses (15 Cr.)
Specialization courses (12 Cr.)
1. EDTD 521: Training Curriculum Development (3 Cr.)
2. EDTD 522: Instructional Design and Delivery (3 Cr.)
3. EDTD 523: Training Program Monitoring and Evaluation (3 Cr.)
4. EDTD 524: Mentorship and Advisement (3 Cr.)
Elective Courses (3 Cr) (Anyone)
1. EDTD 531: Project Development and Implementation (3 Cr.)
2. EDTD 532: Entrepreneurship in Training (3 Cr.)
3. EDTD 533: Specialization on Thematic Training (3 Cr.)
4. EDTD 534: Training for Human Resource Development (3 Cr.)
Practical Courses (6 Cr.)
EDTD 599: Research Project (3 Cr.)
EDTD 591: Internship (3 Cr.)