Patan Academy of Health Sciences
Medicine and Health Care
MD in Psychiatry
The selection process employs written test consisting of Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) and Situational Judgment Tests (SJTs).
MCQs: There will be MCQs based on the undergraduate medical curriculum and this test aims at assessing the candidate’s core medical knowledge.
SJTs: Situational Judgment Tests are Aptitude tests used to assess individual’s reaction to a number of hypothetical scenarios. The content of SJTs reflects the work, education or training related situations. The test has been shown to predict performances across a range of medical professionals and medical student admission. It has added value (incremental validity) over other selection methods.
The applicants should obtain minimum of 50% score in both Paper I (MCQ) and Paper II (SJT) separately, to pass the entrance examination. Preferential marks will be given to candidates working in the Government Health system. Based on the scores of the written exam and the additional preferential scores (as per number of years worked and Human Development Index-HDI of work place), a merit list (Master List) will be prepared. Also a separate list of successful candidates under reservation category will be prepared.
The result will be prepared based on the total scores. The result processing will be as follows:
I. A merit list, of all the applicants who have passed, will be prepared (Master list).
II. Candidates for the 90% of the total seat will be selected from this Merit list.
III. For the remaining 10% (Reservation) seats, the highest ranking candidates from the list of applicants under reservation category, excluding the candidates who have
already been selected as above (Refer to II), will be selected.
IV. The list of successful candidates combining II and III, equal to the number of total seats, will be prepared.
If none of the applicants in the reserved category meet the minimal standard set by PAHS in the entrance exam or if there is no eligible applicant from this category, such seat will go to the best candidate among the open/general category.
In the event that there is a tie in the total score, the aggregate percentage in the MBBS or equivalent will be taken as a deciding factor. In case of second tie, the MCQ score in entrance test and in case of third tie, SJT score in entrance test will be taken respectively as the deciding factors.
The qualified candidates will be called for open house counseling followed by individual counseling. Seats in different subjects will be allocated based on the preference of the students in the list, in the order of merit.
The first list will include top ranking candidates equal to the number of seats, which will be inclusive of 10% candidates from reservation category.
If any seats remain vacant, during the process of counseling and seat allocation, the seats will be allotted to the remaining applicants on merit basis. If the reservation seats remain vacant, the candidate from the reservation category will be called based on the merit list. In case the seats in open category remain vacant, the candidate from the Master list will be called.
The candidates must be physically present at the time of counseling.
The successful applicants will have to complete the admission process within the officially announced time frame. Failure to do so will automatically lead to cancellation of the seat for the candidate.
If there are any seats which have not been filled at the end of the date announced, applicants will be called for subsequent counseling according to the merit. For any vacant seat, 1:10 candidates will be called for counseling, based on the merit.
The decision of the Admission Committee will be final.
At the time of admission, the selected candidates must bring the original copies of the following documents and failure to do so will result in cancellation of admission process.
• Citizenship certificate
• Mark Sheet of SLC/SEE or equivalent
• Mark Sheet/ Transcript of 10+ 2 or equivalent
• Transcript and Certificate of MBBS or equivalent
• Internship completion Certificate
• Migration Certificate
• Nepal Medical Council Registration Certificate (Temporary/Permanent)
• Certificate of work experience (post Internship)
• Leave approval letter from Ministry of Health for permanent Government employee
• No objection letter from currently working institute
• For candidates under reservation category, the original copies of submitted additional mandatory documents
Candidates selected for admission into the MD/MS program at PAHS do not have to pay the Tuition fee. They are required to pay the following fees (Table 1) within the given timeframe. Students and their guardians are requested to deposit all the fees within the given timeframe. There will be a late fee charge of Rs. 150/day if the dues are not cleared within the given timeframe.
Fees to be paid by the selected candidates
Rs. 40,000 (one time)
Nepal Medical Council Fee
Rs. 5,000 (one time)
Rs. 30,000 (per annum)
Examination Fee for Supplementary
Exam (in case of failure)
Health Insurance Fee
Rs. 3,000 (per annum)
• The applicant must be a Nepalese Citizen.
• The applicant should not have exceeded fifty years of age on the last date of submission of application.
• The applicant must have passed MBBS or equivalent from institutions recognized by Nepal Medical Council.
• The applicant should have permanent/temporary registration from Nepal Medical Council. Any candidate whose council registration is currently under suspension will not be eligible for application.
• The applicant must have completed one year of service in a recognized health institution by the last date of submission of application.
• The applicant who has completed MBBS or equivalent studies under scholarship/sponsorship must have completed mandatory obligation/service bond under the scholarship/sponsorship agreement.
• Candidates currently working in any health facility/institute should have ‘No Objection Letter’ from their respective institutes.