Master’s Degree in Chemistry (M. Sc.) is a two years duration program. The total marks in theory and laboratory works in M. Sc. first part are 500. Similarly the total marks in theory, laboratory work and/or dissertation in M. Sc. second part are 500.
During second year session, students may choose an area of specialization in one of the three separate streams: Physical Chemistry, Organic Chemistry and Inorganic Chemistry while in first year all students are in one general stream. The second year students may choose one of the following papers as elective subject: Spectroscopy, Nuclear Chemistry, Natural Product Chemistry and Food Chemistry.
In context of emerging new developments in Chemistry, the Department is doing homework in introducing more courses as electives in future.
Candidates seeking admission to the M. Sc. Degree must hold a B. Sc. degree with major in Chemistry from Tribhuvan University (TU) or an equivalent Degree from the Universities recognized by the TU.
They must be qualified in the Entrance Test conducted by the Department. Candidates seeking to admit in the Ph. D. program must have an M. Sc. degree in Chemistry from TU or an equivalent Degree from the University recognized by the TU.
- Students must attend and pass the entrance examination.
- Pass mark for the entrance examination is 35%.
- Students will be enrolled on the basis of merit. Merit list is published on the basis of both marks obtained in Bachelor level and entrance examination.
Merit list: = 20% (marks obtained in B.Sc) + 80 % (marks secured in entrance examination)
In Central department and constituent campuses of Tribhuvan University; out of total available seats 80% seats will be filled from free competition and 20% from reserved (inclusive) category.
Students who want to compete from proportional representation category must fulfilled following criteria.
- Passed SLC from community schools
- Students who are permanent resident of backward region must have passed SLC from the same region
- Students must have passed Bachelor level from constitutent campus of Tribhuvan University or Community campuses.
If any seats remain vacant in the inclusive/reserved category; remaining seats will be fulfilled from the merit list of free competition.