Master of Philosophy (MPhil) is an advanced level study with special focus on research activities. It aims at producing highly qualified, competitive human resources in different areas such as Curriculum, Educational Planning, Administration, Supervision and Management. Faculty of Education (FoE) offers MPhil in Education with specialization in Curriculum Studies, Development Studies and Leadership Studies.
This is a 3 semester program out of which the first 2 semesters cover taught courses whereas the last one is meant for writing dissertation which is obligatory. The first two semesters have 24 credit hour courses and third semester is of eight credit hours of dissertation writing.
It is a 32 credit hours course for the MEd degree holders but it is a 36 credit hours course for those who have Master's degree in the areas other than MEd.
Graduate School of Education provides the following six specializations in MPhil program:
- Education studies,
- English education,
- Nepali Education,
- Mathematics Education,
- Health Education, and
- Social studies Education.
The classes are conducted at the prime location of the city of Kathmandu in the evening between 4:00 to 8:00p.m. depending upon the seasons. As this is a full time course, candidates are required to attend all the classes regularly.
A candidate's performance is evaluated internally as well as externally. The internal assessment includes class participation, and writing and presentation of term papers/assignments regularly. An external examination is conducted at the end of every semester by the Dean's Office. Upon the completion of the total courses and their requirements, TU awards the candidate with the certificate of MPhil in Education.
M.Phil. is a research oriented degree, which requires the candidates to be critical, explorative and innovative. In order to guide the candidates to fulfill their goal, academic advices are made available throughout the course. The academic advisers assist the candidates in getting their assignments/term papers done in the appropriate format, in selecting appropriate research topic and carrying out and completing the research work for their dissertation. In order to facilitate the candidates in their study and research, a range of academic support consisting of journals, books, dissertations, e-mail and internet facilities are made available.
The total amount of fee for M.Phil. programme is NRs 80,000 (eighty thousand only), which can be paid in 3 installments of Rs. 25,000 each plus some other small contingencies. The installments should be paid at the time of enrolment in the first, second and third semesters respectively. But the admission fee NRs 5,000 will be charged in the beginning of the first semester.
The requirements for entry into this programme are as follows:
- A Master's Degree preferably in Education (MEd) or in any other discipline (recognized by TU) at least with second division,
- Proficient in spoken and written English and competent in computer operation.
The admission to the MPhil in Education Programme is announced twice a year in January and July- one month before the commencement of the class. A candidate willing to join this programme will have to undergo a rigorous process of screening and selection. The screening process includes:
- Entrance examination
- Oral interview
As the medium of instruction and evaluation is English, a candidate proficient in spoken as well as written English and basic computer skills can benefit from the course.
The courses are divided into Core and Specialization areas as given below.
|Theories and Philosophies of Education||3|
|Advanced Research Methods I||3|
|Advanced Research Methods II||3|
|Fundamentals of Education (for non-education background students)||3|
Specialized Course I - Education Studies
- Ed. Std. 721 Curriculum Issues and Research
- Ed. Std. 722 Diversity in Education
- Ed. Std. 723 Leadership in Education
- Ed. Std. 724 Modular Research Study
Specialized Course II - English Education
- Eng. Ed. 721 Philosophy of Language
- Eng. Ed. 722 Multilingualism and Diversity in Education
- Eng. Ed. 723 Pedagogy and Practice in English Education
- Eng. Ed. 724 Globalization and Intercultural Communication
Specialized Course III - Nepali Education
- Nep. Ed. 721 Nepali-Bhasa Sikchhyaka Darsanik Adharharu
- Nep. Ed. 722 Bhasa Yojana
- Nep. Ed. 723 Nepali-Bhasa Sikshakharuko Peshagat Unnayan
- Nep. Ed. 724 Nepali - Bahubhasikata ra Kaksha Byabasthapan
Specialized Course IV - Mathematics Education
- Math 723 Philosophy and Theories of Learning Mathematics
- Math Ed 721 Advance Mathematics with Applications
- Math Ed 722 Seminar Course in the Theory of Fields and Galois theory (1)
- Math Ed 724 Readings in Mathematics Education
Specialized Course V - Health Education
- HEP. Ed. 721 Philosophy and Theories of Health Education
- HEP. Ed. 722 Epidemiology and Community Health
- HEP. Ed. 723 Health Education and Communication for Health Promotion
- HEP. Ed. 724 Women, Children and Adolescent Health
Specialized Course VI - Social Studies Education
- Sost. Ed. 722 Current Practices in Social Studies
- Sost. Ed. 723 Pedagogical Research in Social Studies Education
- Sost. Ed. 724 Modular Research Study
- Std. Ed. 721 Philosophical Theories in Social Studies
Dissertation: 8 credit hours