Bachelor in Sports Management (BSM) is the first of its kind and is offered by Gandaki University. Spread over eight semesters, BSM is a four-year course. In the period of 8 semesters students are required to complete a total of 156 academic credit hours allocated for 52 courses.
BSM Program is a comprehensive program that prepares students for the wide range of responsibilities that come with working in the sports management field in the 21st century. This course focuses on developing a strong knowledge based on the sports sector through the application of business theory, principles, and practices. Graduates of the Sports Management program will gain sports sector knowledge, practical experience, and the necessary technical skills to pursue careers in sports marketing, facility and sports event management, leadership, and sports financial management, among several other fields.
Students will learn in the classroom as well as through practical learning experiences. We provide our students with a variety of opportunities in the sports sector through practical training, internships, and placements in industries such as marketing, advertising, and public relations, finance, and law.
Why Sports Management?
- In Nepal, there is a significant skill gap in the sports sector. The ‘skill gap’ demonstrates the sports industry’s future employability. Individuals aspiring to managerial positions in the industry will gain a competitive advantage.
- Sports sector requires skilled personnel such as Sports Managers who, in addition to specific technical knowledge, also understand Sports Marketing, Sports Law, Sports Finance, and other related topics, which is where Gandaki University comes in.
- Given the success of leagues such as the Everest Premier League in cricket, the Nepal Super League in football, and many other regular events held in Nepal, the sports industry is clearly expected to grow
The Gandaki University has made the provision for scholarships that will be governed through University Development Fund (UDF). few seats are reserved under various quotas for the same.
- Provincial quota: To be eligible for a scholarship under this quota, the candidate should have completed SEE (previously SLC) from any community school in Gandaki Province completely run from government funding. To apply under such quota, candidates are required to produce certification of the same from any government unit or respective metropolis/ sub-metropolis/ municipality or rural municipality.
- Ethnic quota: Certificate proving the ethnic status issued by Indigenous Nationality Commission or federal/provincial/local authority is required to apply under this quota.
- Madhesi quota: Certificate proving the Madhesi status issued by the Madhesi commission or federal/provincial/local authority is required to apply under this quota.
- Dalit quota: Certificate proving the Dalit status issued by the National Dalit commission or federal/provincial/local authority is required to apply under this quota.
- Staff quota: Relationship certificate clarifying the relationship (husband/wife, daughter, son) of the applicant with the respective faculty/staff or the University's recommendation letter, citizenship certificate, and another recommendation letter from the respective faculty are required to apply under this quota.
Besides the above-mentioned quotas, seats are also reserved for female students as per the guidance of the University Development Fund (UDF).
Note: Applicants interested to apply under any of the above quotas are required to select the respective quota while filling the online application form. Applicants are also required to submit the original copies of the above-stated documents at the time of admission.
Interested candidates will have to adhere to the GU Admission process for enrolling into the BSM program. Applicants who have passed Intermediate level or equivalent from any institutions recognized by GU are eligible for application.
The online application can be submitted via GU website. Applicants can download the application form from the university’s website. They should complete the form and submit it with all the supporting documents.
The applicants must pass the entrance examination and admission will be granted on a competitive basis. The syllabus for the related subjects is available on the university’s website.
Applicants succeeding in the entrance examination must submit their original certificates and necessary documents within the stated deadline to get admitted. Then, they will be granted an offer for admission which they have to sign and submit, along with other necessary payments, for completing the enrolment process.
Applicants are required to pay the application fee and apply online through the official website. Once the name is published, they are required to sit for an entrance examination.
90% weightage will be given to the marks scored in the entrance examination, 5% to SEE marks, and 5% to the marks scored in 10+2 while preparing the merit list. The final decision for admission will be made based on the same list.
Applicants are required to submit the following documents for admission:
- 3 copies of passport-sized photos
- Original copy of Nepali citizenship certificate
- Original copy of SEE/SLC transcript and character certificate
- Original copy of 10+2 transcript and character certificate
- Original copy of 10+2 degree certificate and provisional certificate
- Equivalency certificate in case of international degrees
- Original copy of the recommendation letter in case of those applying under the relevant quota
- Original copy of the admit card for the entrance examination
Bachelors in Sports Management offered by Gandaki University is most apt for developing leadership in sports. The students will be provided with practical training and entrepreneurship skill development will open many avenues for them. With their expertise, the students will be an asset in the government as well as the non-government and international arenas.