Lumbini Buddhist University (LBU), Lumbini came into existence on 29 Nov., 2004 (14 Marga, 2061 VS) after the promulgation of an ordinance relating to it, prior to the Second World Buddhist Summit held from 30 Nov. to 2 Dec., 2004 A.D. The concept of LBU was formulated on the basis of Lumbini Declaration Point No. 2.6 of the First World Buddhist Summit held in Lumbini from 30 Nov. to 2 Dec., 1998 A.D. The First World Buddhist Summit had recommended establishing an International Buddhist University to cater to the needs of Buddhist scholars as well as to emphasize its importance in accordance with international standards.
Following the Second People's Movement of 2006 (2062- 63 VS# the Legislative Assembly adopted an Act relating to the establishment of LBU, Lumbini in 2006 #2063 VS). The Act provides for the Prime Minister of Nepal as Chancellor of LBU and the Minister of Education, Nepal as Pro- Chancellor. The University's Vice Chancellor acts as Chief Executive who is assisted by the Registrar in financial and general administration and the Dean in academic programmes.
The Master Plan of LBU includes in its initial phase Departments given below:
Objective of Lumbini Bauddha University
The objectives of the Lumbini Bauddha University are to
1. Impart education and training relating to Buddhism, Buddhist philosophy, culture and archaeology
2. Promote Buddha way of life according to Gautam Buddha’s teachings.
3. Foster Universal peace, friendship, goodwill and understandings as international Buddhist University.
4. Run higher studies and carry out research work on Buddhist studies
5. Promote teaching, learning and research on Buddhist philosophy, literature, culture, history, archaeology etc.
6. Carry on archaeological exploration on Buddhist sites in order to unearth the antiquities.
Tel: 977-1- 4246032