Kathmandu Forestry College is collaborating with the University of Salzburg Austria to jointly run M.Sc. program in Geographical Information Science and Systems (GIScience), popularly known as UNIGIS MSc course.
This programme has been authorized by the Ministry of Education, Government of Nepal. Individuals aiming at a career in GIS or professionals already active in this field who are interested in continuing education for perusing an academic qualification while working will find this program quite attractive.
Eligibility: B.Sc. (10+2+3) degree holders in any discipline with at least 45 percent aggregate marks are eligible to enroll for the course.
Application procedure: Interested students are required to submit completed application form, which can be obtained from the College or will be provided through email.
Fee structure: Total fee for a sponsored student is Euro 3,500. Self-paying students can get a subsidy of Euro 500 on the total fee and need to pay Euro 3,000. Fee can be paid in two installments, in which case an extra Euro 400 will be additionally charged (refer to http://www.kafcol.edu.np for details).
Academic session: The session starts in March and October each year.
Enrollment: Kathmandu Forestry College enrolls 25 students in each batch from various fields including Forestry, Agriculture, Engineering and Sciences of any disciplines. Students should clear the admission process of the University of Salzburg for admission.
Major subject areas
The course is based on the UNIGIS network and has at least 120 European Credit Transfer System (ECTS). The course contains 9 compulsory modules (GIS introduction, Data Modeling and Data Structures, Data Sources and Acquisition, GIS Organization and Project Management, Geographic Database management system, Open GIS and Distributed GI Infrastructures, Geographical Analysis, Spatial Statistics and Visualization and Cartography) of 54 credit hours, 12 credit hours learning practice and academic work, 24 credit hours elective and project work and 30 credit hours thesis work. The knowledge gained through this course will be useful in the following fields:
- Environmental analysis and management (e.g. climatic factors, forest, water bodies, soil erosion, bio-diversity, protected areas, coastal areas, mountainous areas, etc.)
- Natural resources and economic planning (e.g. agriculture, animal husbandry, forestry, fisheries, mining, landscape analysis, tourism, Industry etc.)
- Infrastructure development and management (e.g. transport networks, water & sanitation, health facilities, education institutions etc.)
- Security and safety (e.g. crime & danger assessment, risk & vulnerability assessment, emergency response, disaster management, disease & epidemic pattern, public safety measure etc.)
- Business planning and management (e.g. site location, product marketing, supply networks, insurance calculation, stakeholder analysis etc.)
- Government and Politics (e.g. public administration, electoral analysis, voting pattern etc.)
- Urban, rural and regional planning (e.g. integrated approach to land use planning & management at various spatial units etc.)
- Other fields related to spatial analysis and management