- Fee: NPR 2,299,000
The goal of the programme is to train higher specialist doctors in the field of Otorhinolaryngology (ORL) and Head and Neck Surgery having sufficient knowledge, skill and attitude toward the management and prevention of ORL and Head and Neck diseases. The MS graduate will possess relevant knowledge of basic science, pathology and allied subjects in order to achieve the goal of the programme.
The MS graduate will possess proper attitude towards his/her work, colleagues and patients, be creative, be conversant with recent advances and be able to contribute to the scientific knowledge of ORL and Head and Neck speciality. The MS graduate will be able to recognize his/her limitations, limitations of equipment and support services at the place of work. Accordingly the MS graduate will be able to identify when, where and to whom to turn for information and guidance and be able to refer as appropriate.
The training period for leading to MS in Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery will be of three years.
Tribhuvan University will award a degree of MASTER OF SURGERY (M.S.) in Clinical Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery to the candidate who pass the final examination successfully a teaching experience certificate will also be awarede to the successful candidate.
At the end of the course the specialist should be able to:
- Gather clinical information, diagnose and manage ORL and Head and Neck diseases;
- Perform common surgical procedure of ORL and Head and Neck diseases;
- Recognize and manage ORL and Head and Neck emergencies;
- Conduct and supervise clinical research in the field of ORL and Head and Neck Surgery;
- Recognize preventable diseases in ORL and Head and Neck Surgery, appraise society and concerned authorities regarding preventive measures;
- Organize community effectively as a member of ORL and Head and Neck diseases and conduct mobile camps;
- Function effectively as a member of ORL and Head and Neck surgery team, communicate with other co-workers and organize ORL and Head and Neck Services in a hospital set up;
- Communicate effectively with colleagues of different medical specialties and build an effective inter-disciplinary relationship;
- Communicate effectively with patients, relatives and attendants, provide counselling and explain prognosis of the disease
- Encourage self-directed learning.
Academic RegulationsThe post graduate residents will go through a 3-year full-time residential training.
- The residents during the period of their training will not be allowed to indulge in private practice.
- The residents must be regular in their duties.
- A minimum of 80% attendance is required to be eligible to appear at the final examination.
Training SitesThe following hospitals and institutes will be used for training the PG residents:
- The respective departments of Institute of Medicine for:
- Community medicine
- Tribhuvan University Teaching Hospital Otorhinolarynglogy and Head and Neck Surgery, Department of Radiology.
- Bir Hospital:
- Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery.
- Radiotherapy and Nuclear Medicine.
- In addition other institutions within Nepal will also be utilized for the training purpose.
- Self directed learning
- Smal group discussion
- Journal clubs
- Problem solving exercises
- Clerking, case presentation and discussions.
- Demonstration of examination methods
- Demonstration of diseases and signs
- Development of surgical skills under supervision both in hospital set up and mobile camps.
- Video and Audio presentation.
- Slide presentation.
- Demonstration of models, charts, still photographs, radiological films.
- Knowledge and through understanding; multiple choice questions, short structured questions, essays and oral examination.
- Clinical skills through long. case presentation, short case presentation and objectively structured clinical examination.
- Technical skills through models log book.
- Medical problem solving through patient management questions.
- Self directed learning, through seminars and journal clubs.
- Log book maintenance for clinical skills.
- Medical audit for clinical skills.
- Thesis review.
- The candidates progress will be monitored regularly by the subject committee.
- MBBS or equivalent from institutions recognized by the government of Nepal.
- Registered in Nepal Medical Council.
- Registered in the respective medical council of the applicant's own country for foreign candidates.
- One year experience (Except for MDGP and MD/MS in Basic Medical Sciences excluded).
- Candidates should score a minimum of 50% (Pass marks) in the Entrance Examination conducted by Medical Education Commission for being eligible to be on the merit list.
- Single best response type with Multiple Choice Questions.
- Four options (A,B,C,D).
- No. of questions: 200
- Recall: Understanding: Application: 30:50:20
- Duration: 3 hours including one-time voluntary toilet break (To be allowed only after an hour).
|3||Obstetrics and Gynecology||12|
|Basic Medical Sciences|
|18||Community Medicine + Research Methodology (6+4)||10|
|20||Questions related to mandatory CPD (Medical ethics, rational use of drugs, infection prevention, BLS/ACLS, communication skills)||10|
Final ExaminationThis will consist of three parts:
- Part I : Basic Science
- Part II: Thesis/ Dissertation Writing
- Part III: Final examination
Part I : Basic Sciences:Part examination will conducted by the end of first year and carry a total weight of 100%. A maximum of three attempts will be allowed. Candidates failing in the third attempt will be dropped from the course.
- Theory Part I : Clinical Otorhinolaryngology And Head and Neck Surgery
- Theory Part II: Recent advances in Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery 100 50
- Clinical long and short cases (One long case and three short cases) 100 75
- Oral including Viva Voce