- Fee:NPR 2,381,760
The training in Prosthodontics is the base required to gain subsequent adequate training in its specialties. The name of the specialty “Prosthodontics” comes from the Greek words “Prostho”, meaning artificial: “Odontos” meaning teeth. Prosthodontics is that branch of dentistry pertaining to the restoration and maintenance of oral functions, comfort, appearance and health of the patient by replacement of missing teeth and contiguous tissues with artificial substitutes.
National Academy of Medical Sciences is the first institute in the country to start MDS in Prosthodontics under, which will not only meet the faculties requirement of various Dental School of the country, rather it will reinforce specialty dental service at regional, zonal and district level.
The training in Prosthodontics is done in the Department of Dental Surgery, National Academy of Medical Sciences, Bir Hospital. We have setup the Surgery as per the need of the Post-graduate program in NAMS.
The PG training in Prosthodontics has been started with the involvement of two post-graduate degree holder out of which one having more than ten years teaching experience to undergraduate as a permanent faculty and the other has teaching experience of more than five years to undergraduate as a part time or visiting faculty.
In Nepal there are already five Dental Colleges and few more in the pipeline to start. There may not be ideal number of faculty to start the program but until we start the program how we can develop the faculties.
The goal of the MDS program is to prepare clinically competent, compassionate and academically sound human resource in Prosthodontics.
At the end of the course of study the candidate should be able to develop:
- To achieve adequate knowledge in the diverse disciplines involved in providing care for patients with partial or complete loss of teeth or contiguous oral structures
- To be able to work efficiently as a team in improving the quality of life of patients presenting loss of tooth or teeth
- To critically evaluate scientific literature, discovering and disseminating knowledge
- To have an in-depth knowledge of basic science applicable to Prosthodontics.
- To implicate the evidence available from the literature in routine treatment planning.
- To achieve adequate knowledge in basic concepts of research methodology and be able to conduct good quality prosthodontic research independently.
- To be proficient in delivering high quality prosthodontic treatment as an integral component of overall oral health care through the surgical or the non-surgical approach based on sound judgment and scientific principles.
- To be clinically competent in the treatment planning, placement and maintenance of implants within the concept of comprehensive treatment plan.
- To be able to communicate with patients effectively to improve the oral health status and adherence with health care recommendations.
- To be familiar with research methodology by writing thesis on relevant health problems.
- To educate members of the team working with him/her.
- To become a competent and efficient teacher to teach undergraduate program.
- To provide learning experiences that will correlate the basic, behavioral and clinical skills of the dentist for the most effective comprehensive prosthodontic treatment of partial or complete edentulous patients
General entry criteria of National Academy of Medical Sciences for MDS program in Prosthodontics will be applicable, which is as follows;
- Candidates should have BDS or equivalent degree recognized by the Nepal Medical Council.
- Candidates should have minimum two years of work experience in Government, University or other similar recognized hospitals after temporary registration with Medical Council.
- Candidates should achieve minimum 50% marks in the written MCQ type entrance examination.
- For selection of the candidates, 60% of the marking would be as per the markings of the written examination, and rest 40% would be given as followings:
- Experience in remote areas as per the classification of Ministry (2 years X maximum number 10%): 20%
- PG diplomas from a recognized university in the concerned subject only (Diploma holder in one subject can not apply in other subject): 5%
- BDS or equivalent (>75%: 5; >60%: 4; >50: 3): 5%
- I Sc or equivalent or certificate in health sciences (>60%: 5; >45%: 4; <45: 3): 5%
- SLC or equivalent (>75%: 5; >60%: 4; >45: 3; <45%: 2): 5%