Institute of Engineering (IOE) Pulchowk Campus enrolls 20 students each year in Master of Science (M.Sc) in Transportation Engineering. Transportation engineering or transport engineering is the application of technology and scientific principles to the planning, functional design, operation and management of facilities for any mode of transportation in order to provide for the safe, efficient, rapid, comfortable, convenient, economical, and environmentally compatible movement of people and goods (transport). It is a sub-discipline of civil engineering.
Transportation engineers apply technological knowledge as well as an understanding of the economic, political, and social factors. They usually work directly with urban planners to ensure that the transportation system contributes to the quality of life of the community. Transport engineering students will obtain fundamental theoretical and practical knowledge to perform engineering calculations, demonstrations and applications using specialized transport engineering software. They will assess inter-dependencies between transport, urban and regional planning following requirements of sustainable mobility.
To be eligible for the admission to this Master Program, a candidate must have passed BE (Civil) or Equivalent.
Have undergraduate grades significantly above average and not less than the prescribed by the faculty board of IOE, and Secure minimum score, as prescribed by the Faculty Board of IOE, in the entrance test conducted by the Entrance Board of IOE (or as recommended by special entrance committee for Foreign students)
Note: Equivalence means the same kind of degree obtained from institutes other than TU and recognized by TU as the equivalent to the degree provided by TU in the same discipline.
The candidate willing to appear in the entrance examination to get enrollment into the M.Sc. program should fill and submit the Application Form online within the deadline prescribed by the Entrance Exam Board. Application forms will be available in the websites: www.ioe.edu.np/entrance or http://entrance.ioe.edu.np. The application procedures are as follows:
1. The candidate should deposit required amount as an application fee for entrance examination in Account No mentioned in the notice by submitting a specially prepared voucher often by filling applicant's name and date of birth in it. The voucher No. indicated in the voucher needs to be specified in the online application form.
2. The candidate must select the appropriate entrance stream.
3. The candidate should fill up the other required fields in the form without skipping any steps.
4. The candidate also needs to upload his/her color photograph of prescribed specification and one of the following identification documents.
- Citizenship certificate
- Last exam admit card
If any change has to be done on the submitted information in application form, candidate has to pay extra fee to edit six or less number of normal text fields. For name, photo or ID document correction, he/she has to pay more amounts at ICTC and submit a letter of request for correction with the payment voucher
Seat/Quota distribution for M.Sc Program
- One seat in regular category and One seat in full fee category are reserved for female candidates in each program
- One seat is reserved for IOE faculty. For IOE Reserved Quota, priority will be given to permanent IOE faculty. If there are no applicants from permanent IOE faculty, then priority will be given to faculties who have completed 5 years as a contract faculty. If there is no applicant in IOE reserve quota, it is added to Full Fee Seat. 1/4th of the sponsored quota is reserved for the Foreign students.
- Priority for the sponsored quota will be as follows:
- 1st Priority: Candidates from government offices & Government Owned Organizations or Companies
- 2nd Priority: Other Organizations
- If applications are not received in sponsored/foreign category, then the seat will be fulfilled as full fee category.
(M.Sc) in Transportation Engineering graduates can follow careers in railway companies, public transport companies, local roads administration, research institutes, road and rail traffic design.