Master in Earthquake Engineering is a two year academic course of Purbanchal University. ME in Earthquake Engineering course attempts to address the most intriguing issues in earthquake engineering- structural dynamics and soil dynamics. It covers a broad range of study matters in the field of earthquake engineering and structural engineering. The intricate issues in this subject encompassed by this syllabus are study of dimensions of earthquake and dynamics of structures.
In addition, Master in Earthquake Engineering is also aimed to render by this course of study at the level of master of engineering to students with technology of earthquake resistant design process of structures. In this content, the syllabus aims to provide, of late developed findings and an exhaustive knowledge through state of the art in research bolstered with enticing methods of science of probability and statistics; especially in area of earthquake hazard, risk prediction and risk management.
Nepal is a highly earthquake prone country. Its location in the Himalayas, the youngest mountains and the site of youngest progeny on earth, makes it one of the most hazardous sites with respect to earthquakes. The whole of Nepal is classified under the seismic zone V, the most severe zone. Historically, she faced any destructive earthquakes such as those in April 25, 2015 and its aftershocks, 1988, 1934, 1833 and many others.
A number of universities around the globe are working with the goal of mitigating earthquake hazards and with the introduction of M.E. in Earthquake Engineering program, Purbanchal University has also joined the stream. This program aims to achieve this by preparing Engineers for Earthquake research, academics and professional practice.This program intends to focus on those professionals who are interested in earthquake and structural engineering which requires rigorous analysis in understanding structural behaviors during earthquake-motion and design of earthquake resistant structures.
Aims and Objectives of the program
The main aim of this Master degree program is to prepare skilled high level professionals and academics conversant with the social developmental needs if the time that is characterized by community, culture, ecology and sustainability, and who can serve not only to Nepalese Society and socio-economic development of Nepal but can also equally involve at global level cooperation.
Its basic objectives are as follows:
- to educate the students and make capable in doing the research work in the field of structural dynamics, soil dynamics and earthquake hazard, and risk assessment to help the community and nation to build earthquake safe society
- to impart advanced knowledge to the students in the fields of earthquake engineering through combination of theoretical base, analytical studies of the existing state of the art in earthquake engineering through course works, field visit and practical training within an integrated multidisciplinary framework
- to promote the university as a center of threefold activities namely research and publication learning and teaching and consultancy and counselling services to serve the cause of the community at large and overall development of the nation
- to produce professional resource with technical and managerial capabilities within the country in the area of earthquake engineering and structural engineering
To be eligible for admission to the master program, a candidate needs to have Bachelor degree in civil engineering (normally a four year program) from a recognized university. The candidate must also attend entrance examination, and candidates securing 45% in entrance test conducted by Purbanchal University will be selected for registration on merit basis.
After the completion of the degree, one can work as:
- Earthquake engineer
- Project manager
- Seismic engineering consultant
- Senior geotechnical engineer
- Senior structural engineer
- Technical director