- Fee: NPR 255,000
B.Sc. Fisheries is offered by Agriculture and Forestry University, Rampur, Chitwan. B.Sc. in Fisheries is an undergraduate course that focuses on managing, processing, marketing and conservation of fish. It is a multidisciplinary course that involves the biological study of life and breeding of different species of fish.
The students will be exposed to the knowledge of:
- Fish breeding, genetics, biotechnology, nutrition, farming, diagnosis of diseases in fish
- Aquatic resources, medical treatment of aquatic animals
- Fish processing including curing, canning, freezing, value addition, by products and waste utilization, quality assurance and certification
- Fisheries microbiology, fisheries biochemistry, fisheries resource management including biology, anatomy, taxonomy, physiology, population dynamics
- Fisheries environment including oceanography, limnology, ecology, biodiversity, aquatic pollution
- Fishing technology including gear and craft engineering, navigation and seamanship, marine engines
- Fisheries economics and management and fisheries extension
- Passed SLC or equivalent examination.
- Applicant must be I.Sc./10+2 (Science/Agriculture/Livestock) passed with at least 50% of aggregate marks and has studied English, Chemistry and Biology of at least 100 full marks each, together with Mathematics and Physics of at least 50 full marks each.
- Must secure at least 50% entrance exam score.
- Nepalese Citizen
A total of 21 students are enrolled in B.Sc FIsheries annually. The allocated quota for the academic year 2079-80 is as follows:
- Merit: 7
- Provincial Quota: 0
- Ladies Quota: 1
- Dalit Quota: 1
- Janajati Quota: 1
- Madhesi Quota: 1
- Dwanda Pidit Pariwar (Conflict-affected family) Quota: 1
- Apanga Quota: 1
- Staff Quota: 1
- Staff Quota (partial fee): 0
- Local Quota (UDF): 2
- UDF: 5
B.Sc Fisheries Fee Structure for the Academic Year 2079-2080
University Development Fund (UDF) Category: NRs. 255,000
The notice regarding students' admission is published in a national newspaper and will be put on the website of Agriculture and Forestry University (www.afu.edu.np). The exact date of admission process may vary from year to year but it generally starts in August- September and classes begins from mid of November.
How to apply
Applications can be submitted online. Online application can be accessed at the official website of the university : www.afu.edu.np
When encountered with any problem, then applicants can contact the responsible authority at email@example.com for technical help.
Admission is done on the basis of entrance examination (80%), aggregate score of Higher secondary level or plus two (10%), aggregate score of SLC/SEE (10%). The applicants will be selected on merit basis. The applicants must score 50% or more in the entrance examination in order to qualify.
A total of 80 questions will be included in the written test. Questions are made with reference to the 7 subjects students study during their higher secondary level. Following is the list of distribution of questions among those 7 subjects:
1. English - 12
2. Chemistry - 12
3. Physics - 12
4. Botany - 12
5. Zoology - 12
6. Mathematics - 12
7. General knowledge - 8
Required documents for admission
1. Passport size photo - 3
2. Original copy of Nepali Citizenship Certificate
3. Original Transcript and Character Certificate, SLC/SEE
4. Original Transcript and Character Certificate, Plus two/Higher Secondary Level
5. Degree certificate or provisional certificate, Plus two/ Higher Secondary Level
6. Equivalency Certificate (If other than Nepal Board)
7. Original Quota Verification Letter/Certificate (as specified) for candidates seeking admission under certain quota.
8. Original admit card, Entrance Examination
Applicants with an Higher Education Degree from any other University than Agriculture and Forestry University are required to register with Agriculture and Forestry University. The applicants are required to Submit the original copy of Migration Certificate during registration.
Please visit NOTICE section for more detailed information regarding admission and student quotas
There are numerous of career or job opportunities in government and the private sector. Aspirants can go for entrepreneurship or self-employed in their own fisheries-related business.
The job titles of fisheries is given below:
- Fisheries Biologist
- Fisheries Extension Officer
- Fisheries Officer
- Fishery Manager
- Fishery technician
- Fishery Observer
- Assistant Fisheries Development Officer
- District Fisheries Development Officer