The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nepal (ICAN) was established under a special act, The Nepal Chartered Accountants Act, 1997.
The Institute is an autonomous body and the Council is fully authorized by the Act to undertake accountancy profession in Nepal.
Vision & Mission Statement of ICAN
" ICAN to be recognized as a respected professional accounting body, providing leadership on standards, education and self-regulation in Nepal "
Objectives of ICAN
1. To play the role of regulatory body in order to encourage the members to carry on accounting profession being within the limit of the code of conduct laid down so as to make accounting profession transparent.
2. To develop, protect and promote the accounting profession by making the members and the practicing accountants understand the responsibility towards the importance of the accounting profession and the accountancy.
3. To provide quality professional education to accounting professionals in consonance with international norms and practice so as to make the accounting profession respectable and reliable.
4. To support the government with constructive suggestions towards the formulation and the revision of legislation in regards to commerce, trade, accounting, revenue etc.
5. To support the economic development process by increasing the confidence among investors and general public towards the capital market by pronouncing the standards of discloses in financial reporting practices.