2015-01-04 - 2015-04-30
Application open for IGIDR-IDRC Scholarships and fellowships program
INDIRA GANDHI INSTITUTE OF DEVELOPMENT RESEARCH
Reaccredited with ‘A’ Grade by National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC)
IGIDR-IDRC Scholarships and Fellowships
Capacity Building in Inclusive Development with special focus on Labor Market and Industrial Policy
Asian Regional Initiative
Three Fellowships per academic year to support Visiting Doctoral Students from Select Asian
Countries (August 2015 – July 2016 )
Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research (IGIDR) is initiating a Capacity Building Program in Inclusive Development with special focus on Labor Market and Industrial Policy, starting from August 2015–July 2016, with funding from the International Development Research Center, Canada (IDRC). As part of this initiative, scholarships would be available for Visiting Ph.D. students who are citizens of the following Asian countries: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Maldives, Myanmar, Nepal, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Thailand and Vietnam.
This program aims to encourage Doctoral students who have already registered for their Ph.Ds in academic programs from select Asian countries, viz., Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Maldives, Myanmar, Nepal, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Thailand and Vietnam, to visit IGIDR for a period of up to a maximum of 12 months to undertake part of their thesis research or fortify their knowledge through additional course work or add a new dimension to their research, from the point of view of Labor Market and Industrial Policy. The final dissertations would be submitted to their parent universities subject to the respective national laws and regulations.
Eligibility: The applicants should possess a Masters degree in any field and be registered for Ph.D. on a topic broadly involving any area of economics at any of the universities/accredited academic programs located in above target Asian countries.
Application Requirements: Applicants are required to submit the following either by email to [email protected] with the subject line ‘Application for Asianhub Visiting Ph.D Program......................(name of the applicant)’ or by Post (IGIDR-IDRC Asianhub Visiting Ph.D. Student Program, IGIDR, Film City Road, Goregaon East, Mumbai 400065, India with subject line ‘Application for Asianhub Visiting Ph.D. Program..................(name of the applicant)’) on or before April 30, 2015
(1) Academic curriculum vitae (CV)
(2) Scanned copies of all the academic certificates/degrees starting from 12 years school leaving certificate
(3) Research proposal that focuses on Inclusive Development with special emphasis on Labor Market and Industrial Policy
(4) One ‘Writing Sample’ which could be an article or a scholarly paper published/presented in academic journals/conferences or extracts from the applicant’s past academic work, if available, with evidence of applicant’s interest in Labor Market and Industrial Policy (if any)
(5) Passport scan that contains details such as the passport number, photograph, place of issue, and validity. The candidates should arrange to send two letters of recommendation from academics; one of the letters of recommendation should be from the concerned Ph.D supervisor in the case of a Ph.D student, and the principal of the College/University in the case of a Junior faculty member. Recommendation letters should clearly give the contact details of the recommenders and should be sent from the official email id of the recommender to [email protected] with ‘Reference for Asianhub Visiting Ph.D. Applicant.................................(name)’ in the subject line. The research proposal should involve economic issues, particularly those related to Labor Market and Industrial Policy. It should be strictly within 1,500 words, and its scope should be such that the project can be completed within the period of applicant’s proposed stay, up to a maximum of twelve months. Proposals in both theoretical and empirical issues will be considered. The research proposal should be accompanied by a scan of signed certification by the applicant as well as by the concerned thesis supervisor/Principal, stating that the research proposal is original work of the applicant.
Selection Procedure: Selection will be based on a joint evaluation of the academic record, CV, letters of recommendation, the research proposal and writing sample (if any) submitted at the time of application, and possibly a Skype interview. The selected candidates will be intimated by email as well as mail by June first week.
Selected scholars will be required to submit a progress report of the research project at the end of three months and a complete research report along with a seminar presentation of the research findings at the end of the stay. Failure to submit a progress report on time may lead to the termination of the scholarship programme. They would be encouraged to publish their research output in the form of refereed papers in regional and international journals, with suitable acknowledgment of IGIDR and IDRC program.
Scholarship:Selected scholars will be paid INR 26000 a month towards scholarship, One round trip travel expense up to a maximum of INR 50000, fixed medical coverage of INR 25000, and allowable book grant and travel support for conference travel.
Last date to apply : April 30th, 2015
For more details: