Government of Nepal, Ministry of Education, Department of Education, Sanothimi, Bhaktapur today publishes an urgent notice for all the district Education Offices and Community Schools.
Government of Nepal is selecting one Namuna (Model) School from each of 240 electoral district. It has asked Community Schools to submit the application to their respective District Education Office within Baishakh 10, 2074. Later, District Education Offices have to send name of 3 schools from each electoral district within Baishakh 20, 2074.
Updated 13th April, 2017
Government of Nepal Ministry of Education
School Sector Development Plan
Eligibility and Selection Criteria for Model Schools-2073
The School Sector Development Plan (SSDP; 2016/17–2022/23) envisages the establishment and operation of a number of Model Schools to demonstrate improved teaching-learning and student learning outcomes. It is estimated that about 1,000 existing secondary schools will evolve into model schools in a phased manner during the 7-year SSDP period. In line with the drafting of the SSDP, the Ministry of Education (MOE) has developed the concept paper for outlining the establishment, development and operation of the Model schools. The concept paper was prepared to make school selection process transparent; to simplify the process; and to ensure the sustainability in the operation of such type of schools.
In line with the Model School Establishment, Development and Operation Concept Paper–2073, the Ministry of Education (MoE) has prepared and issued this Eligibility and Selection Criteria for Model schools–2073 for selecting existing secondary schools and transforming them into Model Schools through intensive support in physical and educational dimensions. These criteria are also used to identify and support the model schools from the highly earthquake affected fourteen districts where reconstruction of schools is going on. Other Guidelines for the establishment; and preparation of Model Schools will be separately developed later.
There will be two major criteria for selecting model schools:
- Eligibility Criteria: Minimum eligibility requirements mandatory for schools willing to participate in selection process.
- Selection Criteria: Bases of allocating weightage for selection process of those schools which have fulfilled the Eligibility Criteria.
- Required to be Secondary School running from Grade 1 to 12: The school must be running classes from grade 1 to 12. Generally, eligible schools must be community secondary school. Despite this, separate provision can be made with the provision for
- b)School must have adequate land of its own: The school must have adequate area to operate classes from grade 1 to 12, with essential number for classrooms, library, science lab, ICT lab, separate restrooms for girls and boys, auditorium hall, cafeteria and sufficient area to conduct school assembly. For this purpose, the school situated in the Terai region must have at least 2 bigas and schools situated in Himalaya and Hill region must have at least 10 ropanis land.
- c)The schools must be located in environmentally safe zone. The geographical location of school must be away from potential risk of flood, landslide and soil erosion. If conflict of interest arises while determining school location as dangerous or not, the District Education Office with advice of District Soil Conservation Office and consultation with District Natural Hazards Relief Committee will determine preliminary action and decide whether the location is safe.
- d)School must have written commitment from School Management Committee and recommendation from local bodies: The school management committee of a particular school willing to submit application to be a model school must be active according to prevailing law. The school management committee must manifest written commitment through meeting to work according to direction provided by the Government of Nepal and its agencies to develop their school as a model school. In addition to this, school must submit recommendation letter from local bodies, Village Development Committee (VDC) or Municipality stating their opinions whether they can provide necessary support and coordination for development and operation of school or not.
1.Minimum eligibility requirements mandatory for schools willing to participate in the selection process
All interested schools willing to participate as model school selection process, must submit an application. In this regard, interested schools must meet all the following mandatory eligibility requirements, in order to submit their application. Schools failing to meet one or more conditions mentioned below will not be eligible to compete in the selection process:
community schools as well as institutional schools managed by the public trust to submit application for selection of schools to be operated as an idle school as visualized in the concept paper. In addition to this, due to the present context of reconstruction and restoration of schools in highly earthquake affected 14 districts, the final 14 schools selected from each districts must be a community secondary school running from grade 1 to 12.
2.Bases of allocating weightage for selection process of those schools which has fulfilled the Eligibility Criteria.
After fulfilling all mandatory eligibility requirements as mentioned above in point number 1; the shortlisted or preliminarily selected school will be provided weightage based on the following basis and indicators out of 100 total marks. Subsequently, based on the measurement of these indicators the schools obtaining highest marks will be selected as a highly potential school for infrastructure development to upgrade as Model school:
Teaching Subjects for Grade 11 and
- School having Science stream only -10 marks
- School having two streams other than science (e.g. Commerce and Education ) -10 marks
- School having two streams including sciencestream -20 marks
Adequacy of land with school (for hostel and outdoor game)
|20 || |
- If school owns up to 33% of additional land to minimum requirement of land as mentioned in point no. 1 - 5 marks
- If school owns more than 33% up to 66% of additional land to minimum requirement of land– 10 marks
- If school owns more than 66% up to 100% of additional land to minimum requirement of land– 15 marks
- If school owns more than 100% of additional land to minimum requirement of land – 20 marks
Ratio of students in school
- There will be separate counting of ratio of students for basic level grade 1-8 and secondary level grade 9-12.
- Maximum marks allocated for basic level is 5 and secondary level is -10
- If ratio of school students is equal to or more than average ratio of district school’s students then 5 marks must be allocated for each level.
- If ratio of school students in secondary level from class 9-12 is more than 30% but less than 50% to district’s average ratio of school’s students then additional 2 marks will be allocated
- If ratio of school students is equal to or more than 50% to district’s average ratio of school’s students then additional 3 marks will be allocated.
Location of the school
- If location of school is approachable to road transportation -5 marks
- If school is located in growing city area -5 marks
- If school is located in area with regular transportation facility to local market within 15 minutes or half an hour walk -5 marks
- If school is located in area which is easily accessible to children of more than one VDC or two or more than two wards of Municipality – 5 marks
Result of SLC
- Result will be counted based on number of passed students in regular and its chance exam.
- The school must have annual average of 40 students participated in last three years
- If the average result of school in last 3 years is more than average district’s result; for 1 % increase in average will score 0.5 marks which will be allocated up to 15 marks respectively.
Accessibility of electricity and internet to local community
- If local community of school area have provision to access electricity from national transmission or local transmission electricity supply, if or, school have provision of alternative energy-5 marks
- If there is availability of internet network in local area where school is located -5 marks
- a)Department of Education (DoE) will publish public notice to invite application from interested schools.
- b)After publication of notice by DoE, concerned District Education office (DEO) will organize a briefing meeting with Head teacher of Secondary Schools to provide information on this matter.
- c)Based on the notice published by department, all eligibility criteria fulfilling school mentioned in point no.1 must submit the application within the given deadline with all necessary documents for assessment to DEO. If community secondary school does not have its own land and its land registration record (larpurja) from its establishment and it is operating in public land can submit a document stating written right of land utilization or the application submitted to DEO by the schools with the basis and the reasons of having no land of its own, should be attested and verified by DEO with duration of land utilization and the clarification that there is no any dispute regarding utilization by school.
- d)Concerned DEO will finalize the preliminary screening of the schools (against the applications that are timely received) on the basis of existing record in DEO.
- e)After preliminary screening, DEO will submit to DoE the top five ranked school with original documents and summary sheet of marks provided to particular school.
- f)A team including representative from DoE along with under-secretary level staffs from Regional Education Directorate will conduct field observation of top five schools selected from district and then verify preliminary evaluation results. During verification if there are substantial changes in scoring of top 5 schools that result in alteration in rank of among them, then verification of all schools listed in standing list will be conducted. Based on verification, the team will recommend high scoring top 3 schools for selection process.
- g)The names and the address of the recommended schools by the verification team will be published in the DOE website and in the respective DEOs and it will be sent to MoE by the DOE for further process.
- h)Based on the preliminary selection and verification, the list of schools for selection will be sent to the committee chaired by secretary of MoE. After completion of decision process, the selected schools will be informed through respective DEOs.
Other provisions for selection
In addition to above-mentioned selection criteria, following will be additional provisions for selection:
- i)For those schools operated within country under public trust (Guthi) as an institutional school; MoE have planned to develop those schools as an ideal school, which can be operated as public-private partnership or similar sort of operation and management. Selection can be done for those schools by inviting proposal or application among the schools, which are similar in nature.
- j)In case of selecting more than one school from a district, after selecting first ranked higher secondary school with highest mark, there might be a provision for selection among remaining schools situated in another election area than first ranked selected school and which must undergo through all above listed method and process.
- k)Based on the concept note, if any NGOs, INGOs and donor agencies are interested to support the building of a model school, the same basic criteria will be applied, as mentioned in point no. 7 of the concept paper. For that, DoE, Central Level Program Implementation Unit (CLPIU) and District implementation unit (DIU) will facilitate in the selection process in earthquake affected districts where these units are working for the reconstruction of schools.
- l)Grievances handling focal point related to selection of school will be MoE. If any confusion and dilemma arises regarding the set indicators during implementation, the direction and clarification provided by MoE will be followed.
Read official notice here:
Selection criteria are as follows