CTEVT has discontinued offering Pre-Diploma in Medical Lab Technology (Lab Assistant) Programs from 2020.
Pre-Diploma in Medical Lab Technology (Lab Assistant) program is designed to produce lower level human resources in the field of human health laboratory services equipped with knowledge, skills and attitude necessary for this level of technicians so as to meet the demand of such technician in the country.
Aim: The aim of the programme is to produce health lab assistant to provide health laboratory services to the people through established health institutions by performing all routine and some special laboratory procedures independently and accurately.
Objectives: After completing this curricular program, the students will be able:
1. To be familiar with medical laboratory procedures and practices applicable in diagnosing human health disorders
2. To perform haematological tests
3. To be familiar with blood banking
4. To carryout clinical biochemical tests
5. To perform medical microbiological tests
6. To perform medical parasitological tests
7. To carryout first aid activities
8. To be familiar with communicable diseases
9. To assist in managing laboratory
10. To assist to assure quality of laboratory procedure and tests
Course Duration: This course will be completed within 18 months (40 hrs/week X 39 weeks a year = 1560 hrs.) class plus 6 months (40 hrs/week X 24 weeks = 960 hrs. on the job training (OJT).
Target group: The target group for this training will be all the interested individuals of the country with academic qualification of SEE pass.
Group size: The group size of this training program will be not more than 40.
Medium of Instruction: The medium of instruction will be in English and/or Nepali language. 10. Course Duration: This course will be completed within 12 months / 52 weeks / 1560 hours. In addition, 3- months/ 480 hours on-the-job assignment should also be completed for issuing successful completion of the course.
Pattern of Attendance: The students should have 80% attendance in theory classes and 90% in practical/ performance to be eligible for internal assessments and final examinations.
Certificate Requirements: The council for technical education and vocational training will award certificate in “Technical School Leaving Certificate in Medical Laboratory Technology” to those students who successfully complete the requirements as prescribed by the curriculum.
Individuals who meet the following criteria will be allowed to enter into this program:
- SEE pass
- Students should pass entrance examination administered by CTEVT
- They should submit the following documents at the time of application
- SEE pass certificate
- Character certificate
- Citizenship certificate (for the name, parents' name, age, date of birth and address verification purpose only)
- Final selection will be made on the basis merit list.
- The quota for different category of students will be as per the enrollment policy of CTEVT
The graduate will be eligible for the position equivalent to Non-gazetted 2nd class/level 4 (technical) as Health Lab Assistant or as prescribed by the Public Service Commission.
The graduate is eligible for registration with the Nepal Health Professional Council in the grade as mentioned in the concerned Council's Act.
Pre-Diploma in Medical Lab Technology program is based on the job required to be performed by a health lab assistant at different level health institutions in Nepal.
This course intends to provide knowledge about following basic level medical laboratory procedures.
It especially, provides the knowledge and skills focusing on various medical laboratory tests such as haematological tests, biochemical tests, microbiological tests and parasitological tests as provisioned by the government of Nepal. It also deals with blood banking, first aid and communicable diseases.