Startup Weekends are 54-hour long events where developers, designers, marketers, product managers, startup enthusiasts come together to share ideas, build products and launch startups! Teams go from an idea scrawled on a napkin to a working prototype and maybe even paying customers, all within a single weekend. Startup Weekends are a global phenomenon with events being held in 1000+ cities across the world. In Nepal alone, we have had 10 Startup Weekends with over 550 participants.
Date: 10-12 November 2017
Venue: KUSOM, Balkumari (Residential Program)
Participation Fee: Rs. 2500 /- (to be paid after selection, includes all boarding and meal expenses during the event.)
WHY ATTEND A STARTUP WEEKEND?
Many people want to be entrepreneurs, but find it hard to commit on top of study/work/family commitments. Startup Weekends are the ideal high-impact/low-commitment vehicle for you to test both your ideas and yourself to see if entrepreneurship really is your cup of tea. Not everyone can spare 3 months, but everyone has a weekend to spare. (For more reasons, see What do I get out of it below)
HOW DOES STARTUP WEEKEND WORK?
Expect to be busy from the Friday evening through Sunday night. We begin on Friday night with open-mic pitches, where participants get 60 seconds to pitch their ideas to the crowd and try to recruit the best talent in the room! Teams form around the most exciting/viable ideas, and spend the rest of the night planning for the battle ahead. The whole of Saturday and much of Sunday) is a mad dash to build, validate, pivot, polish and test your Minimal Viable Product (MVP). The weekend culminates with a pitch-night where teams present their MVP to a panel of judges, guests and fellow participants. At the end of it all, a winner is crowned and everyone celebrates over a few casual drinks and gets a chance to network before saying goodbye!
WHAT DO I GET OUT OF IT?
- You will get a taste of what it’s like in the startup world, and learn a ton first hand about every step of building a startup (at the very least, it’ll be a memorable weekend away from your usual daily routine).
- You might find your perfect co-founder soulmate with whom you’ll go on to launch a multi-million dollar startup, be it on this weekend or down the road.
- You will get a chance to network and mingle with some of the top brass in the Nepalese entrepreneurship / investing communities as well as the industry experts.. – individuals that would otherwise be very hard to reach – and ask them questions to your hearts content.
- You will greatly expand your network and build lasting relationships with the most innovative, creative and motivated people in the city. This could mean a new client, employer, business partner, or even a friend!
- Plus, if your team wins, you will get exciting prizes, heaps of additional resources and mentorship to help you get your startup off the ground. There are also plenty of investors in the crowd, so if your pitches were something special, you might even get funding (it happens!).
BUT I'M NOT AN ENTREPRENEUR...
You don’t have to be! (and if you want to be, this is a great place to start)
At every Startup Weekend, participants come from all walks of life ranging from students to educators, bankers to doctors, even retirees! Worried you don’t have the skills? Thats why we have experienced mentors here to guide you (and Startup Weekends are about learning anyway). Too young/old? We have had participants as young as 12 and as old as 70 (not kidding!), so if you fall within that range, your’e sweet!
READY TO APPLY?
- Those interested in applying for “Startup Weekend Axiata Digital” must be a university level student with a strong interest in entrepreneurship and teamwork.
- Participants are required to apply online via an application form that needs to be filled out. Once you have been shortlisted and selected, you will have to pay a nominal fee of Rs. 2500/- which includes all your meal and board expenses during the event.
- Participants may apply as an individual.
- Registered team members/participants accept the terms and conditions of participation, as well as the use of personal data, and photography/video recording during and after the event by staff for the purposes of producing editorial content and advertising materials.
- Lastly, please note that applicants submitting incomplete application forms or inaccurate information will be disqualified.
CONFIRMATION OF PARTICIPATION
We will choose the 100 best applications for the event. Selected applicants will receive an official confirmation via the email address provided in the application. The confirmation will include a Participant Pack that details all information concerning the event.
If you have more, check out: https://startupweekend.org/attendees/faq.