Sikkim Manipal University
Humanities and Social Sciences
Fashion Industry has become so specialized that it encompasses a vast field of studies in design development, garment technology, design production, quality control, planning, fabric design, printing, fashion merchandising and so on. The apparel industry provides employment to over 35 million people and it is the second largest provider of employment after agriculture. As in recent years, the readymade garment segment has seen vertical growth B.Sc. in Apparel and Fashion Design provides great career scope. Bachelor of Science in Apparel and Fashion Design [B.Sc. (AFD)] is designed to combine an extensive educational curriculum with industrial training. The program is a fabrication of different subjects oriented towards the fashion and apparel industry. The electives introduced in the fifth semester provide an opportunity for specialized training as per requirement of the Fashion/Garment industry.
· Enabling students who have completed 10+2 or equivalent to pursue a career in the field of fashion design.· Enabling students to learn various aspects of the fashion industry and design methods, as applied to garments.
· Provides the students with knowledge of the production processes in apparel industry.
· Develops skills in illustrating fashion figures, design collection, using techniques of draping, sewing, embroidery, printing etc.
· Provides adequate knowledge on principles of marketing,which also includes the retail scenario.
· Facilitates knowledge of the industry, with a shift from manufacturing/stitching to design-cum-manufacturing scenario.