1. Some People who have two or more different kinds of filings in their teeth are able to hear high power AM broadcast stations when located within a few hundred feet of the stations. In such cases, the radio waves act upon the teeth fillings in such a way that the electromagnetic oscillations get transformed to mechanical vibrations in the person’s head, and these are heard as sound.
2. The Eiffel tower is 15 cm taller in summer because of thermal expansion.
3. If every star in the Milky Way was a grain of salt they would fill an Olympic sized swimming pool.
4. Cats can see clearly in one -sixth the amount of light we humans would need. This is due to a special layer of cells at the back of their retinas, which acts like a mirror, reflecting light back to the retina’s cells.
5. A TV screen shows 24 pictures a second. Because a fly sees 200 images a second, it would see TV as still pictures with darkness in between.
6. 12 astronauts have walked on the moon, bringing back 382 Kilograms of rocks, pebbles, sand and dust between them.
7. The amount of sunlight reaching the earth’s surface is 6,000 times the amount of energy used by all human beings worldwide.
8. In 1936 Professor Alfred Gaydon underwent surgery on his eyes after an accident. When his sight began to return the found that he could see ultra-violet light, which is normally beyond the visible spectrum of humans. This helped in his work as a physicist, but it did distort how he saw other colors!
9. The total amount of fossil fuel used by humans since the start of civilization is equivalent to less than 30 days of sunshine.
10. When a flea jumps, the rate of acceleration is 20 times that of the space shuttle during launch
11. Whales talk to each other by making a loud clicking noise. The sound waves travel extremely well underwater so they can hear each other from 100 miles away.
Govinda Bahadur K.C.
M.Sc Physics 2nd Year