Local residents and representatives of various political parties have urged the students who left the hostel of Balmandir Secondary School at Lumle last week to come back and resume their studies.
Speaking at an interaction organised on the school premises on Sunday, local people said the students were neither mistreated in the past nor will they be discriminated against in future.
Sixty-eight children who were studying in the school under a government scholarship programme had left for Pokhara on March 4 just a day before their final examinations. They were selected by the Kathmandu-based Budhanilkantha School for the scholarship programme from across the country.
Acting Headmaster Rajendra Bharati said the students were not guilty. "The incident happened not because of the fault of parents and teachers. You (the students) are welcome here," he said. He said the school's environment has not deteriorated and that they will ensure security for all the students.
Meanwhile, Education Minister Dina Nath Sharma and Joint-secretary Mahashram Sharma, who inspected the school and attended the interaction on Sunday, expressed sadness over the incident.
Speaking at the interaction, Minister Sharma said the government cannot shift the scholarship programme away from the school. "Everyone should abide by the state's rules and regulations. If the students do not return, parents themselves should manage for their children's education," he said.
Source: Ekantipur, News by : Lal Prasad Sharma.