Finance Minister Bishnu Paudel today (i.e. 28 May 2016) presented the annual budget for the next fiscal year 2016/17. Some of the programs for which budget are allocated are:
- Rs 26.5 billion has been allocated for the School Sector Development Programme.
- Primary education would be made compulsory and free while secondary education would be gradually made compulsory and free.
- Special programmes would be introduced to bring dropout children back.
- The government would adopt a strategy to prepare human resources needed for the national development within the nation.
- Religious educational institutions would be promoted into mainstream.
- More teachers would be appointed for Science, English and Mathematics subjects at community schools.
- The community schools would gradually adopt English medium education.
- Masters level students would be mobilised for volunteerism for six months in their final year of the study.