At present there are many global environmental issues. Nepal is not exception to this problem as many of our cities or towns continue to be plagued by air pollution as well as many other environmental problems. Our rivers suffer the effects of poorly treated sewage and industrial discharges. Deterioration of environment and loss of biodiversity are linked with poverty. Moreover, a wave of concern for environment swept across the developed world in the sixties and reached its climax in 1970 with the celebration of ‘The Earth Day’ under the auspices of The United Nation. After that the need for environmental education was keenly felt at the national level in Nepal.
In border terms, environmental science is a multidisciplinary science that deals with the study of natural resources, their degradation, and pollution, fate of species and role of human beings for the conservation of environment. Keeping this in view, this syllabus has been designed to provide knowledge to the students about the importance of protection and conservation of our environment and the need to restrain human activities, which may lead to indiscriminate release of pollutants into the environment. This knowledge will also enable the students to evolve the best way of dealing with seriously endangered life support systems and develop skills to ensure that there will a minimum damage in development works so as to make developmental activities sustainable for a long-term. Besides these the syllabus has highlighted the necessary and essential aspects of Natural Sciences for understanding the newer environmental issues that have become focus of the environmental attention in more recent years. Emphasis has been given to topics such as air pollution, water pollution, biodiversity, forest and land degradation, hazard waste, risk assessment, global climate change, flood and drought, stratospheric ozone depletion and ecotoxicology which are among the most crucial environmental problems of this millennium.
The main objectives of the course are:
· To make the master degree programme in environmental science more relevant to the professional needs and the development of community and country.
· To provide knowledge to the students about spheres of the earth and their interrelationships that makes the suitable conditions for the existence of life.
· To provide the students an overview of the ecological principles, processes, types and functions of ecosystems, natural and man made change of the landscape.
· To familiarize and equip the students with appropriate methods used in environmental management including theoretical, practical and field based knowledge of application.
· To acquaint students with the available natural resources of the country and their conservation.
· To expose the students to environmental issues and problems.
· To provide the students the knowledge about various forms of energy, their uses and conservation.
· To develop an understanding of impacts of human activities on the environment and the mitigation measures used to reduce these effects.
· To provide knowledge about emission and transport of various pollutants in air, water and soil and their effects including the technique adopted for reducing such emissions.
· To provide knowledge about human population growth and regulation.
· To acquaint the students with international theory, the practical process and methods of performing an EIA as a tool for sustainable development.
· To make the students able to apply techniques used in interpretation of remotely sensed data.
· To provide the knowledge about environment laws from a variety of perspectives in order to protect the environment.
· To develop problem solving skills, particularly in environmental conservation and sustainable development.
· To make the students able to take up the responsibility as environmental managers, experts and teachers.
Eligibility for Admission:
The candidates who have passed B.Sc. Degree with major in environmental science with second division from Tribhuvan University or equivalent Degree from other University recognized by Tribhuvan University shall be considered eligible to apply for admission to M.Sc. Environmental Science.
The students other than BSc in environmental science in accordance with decision of Faculty Board of Institute of Science and Technology (TU-IOST) are also qualified to apply.
An applicant seeking admission to M.Sc. Environmental Science most appear in Entrance Examination of two hour’s duration conducted by a campus or the Central Department of the Environmental Science, Institute of Science and Technology, Tribhuvan University.
An applicant who does not appear in the Entrance Examination and fails to obtain a minimum qualifying score will not be allowed to get admission in M.Sc. Environmental Science. A merit list of the qualified applicants will be prepared-on the basis of the percentage of their B.Sc. Examination and the marks obtained by them in the Entrance Examination. Admission of students will be based strictly on the merit list and on the enrollment capacity of the Central Department of Environmental Science/Campus.
The total amount of fee for the complete course is NRs. 84,200.00. Students have to pay equal amount as NRs 42,100.00 for both first and second year.
Currently scholarships are available for four students, which are based on the academic merit achieved in first year.
In Central department and constituent campuses of Tribhuvan University; out of total available seats 80% seats will be filled from free competition and 20% from reserved (inclusive) category.
Students who want to compete from proportional representation category must fulfilled following criteria.
If any seats remain vacant in the inclusive/reserved category; remaining seats will be fulfilled from the merit list of free competition.
Semester: I (Compulsory Courses)
Course Code Subject Credit hrs
Env. 511 Ecology and Environmental Science 4
Env. 512 Environmental Earth Science 4
Env. 513 Environmental Pollution and Monitoring 4
Env. 514 AEcology and Environmental Science Practical 2
Env. 514 BEnvironmental Earth Science Practical2
Env. 514 CEnvironmental Pollution and Monitoring Practical
Semester: II (Compulsory Courses)
Course Code Subject Credit hrs
Env. 521Environmental Conservation and Management4
Env. 522Environmental Impacts and Management Techniques4
Env. 523Environment and Energy4
Env. 528Case Study and Field Work2
For details download: Curriculum of M.Sc Environmental Science.pdf
Government of Nepal, Teacher Service Commission (TSC), Santohimi, Bhaktapur today announces vacancies for permanent posts ...
National Examination Board Publishes the examination centers for upcoming Grade 11 and Grade 12 Board ...
Government of Nepal, Ministry of Education, Department of Education, Sanothimi, Bhaktapur today publishes an urgent ...
Tribhuvan University, Institute of Science and Technology, Dean's office, Kritpur, Kathmandu publishes the B.Sc Re-Entrance ...
Tribhuvan University the office of the Dean, Institute of Science and Technology (IOST), today published ...
Tribhuvan University today publishes Examination routine of Masters level first year-2073. This examination is for ...
Computer Science Alumni Association CDCSIT, TU, Kritipur is conducting 2 days workshop on "Project Work ...
Council for Technical Education and Vocational Training (CTEVT) announces applications for NIRBAHA Scholarships program for ...
The Government of Japan offers scholarships for Postgraduate/ Research Students, Undergraduate Students and Specialized Training ...
Nepal Academy of Science and Technology (NAST)- apex body of Science and Technology sector under ...
Government of Nepal, Ministry of Culture, Tourism and Civil Aviation, Nepal Academy of Tourism and ...
Khowpa College announces admissions for Master of Business Studies (MBS), MA English, MA Economics, and ...
Global College International (GCI) announces admissions for GCE A level for 2017-19 session. GCI is ...
Andrew J. Wild College, an exclusive "A" Levels College announces admissions for A Level programs ...
Excel Business College, a Chaudhary Group Initiative which is affiliated to Pokhara University started to ...
Kantipur Tourism and Hotel Management College located in Chipledunga, Pokhara announces admissions for next intake ...